Ability to add sub-sections

In trying to organize My Tasks to fit my workstyle, I deleted the default “Today, Upcoming and Later” sections in My Tasks. However, now I would like to try using these sections and adding more detailed sections within these default sections, but when I use the Tab+N command, it simply adds a new section in the My Tasks view, not a section within the “Today” section for example. Any way to solve this?

2 Likes

Hello @Erica_Seidman welcome to the Asana Community Forum :wave:

There is currently no possibility to add subsections. Here is an existing feedback request that you can upvote Ability to add sub-sections

Here is an overview on sections: Setting Up a Project in Asana | Product Guide • Asana Product Guide
To further split up things you could work with custom fields (for example having a priority drop down), or working with tasks and subtasks (there you can also create subsections).

Here are some additional suggestions: Subsections - #4 by lpb

I hope that helps :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Erica_Seidman you should consider creating sections and not sub-sections, that would not add a lot of value in my opinion. For example “Today - morning” “Today - afternoon”.

1 Like

Thanks @Andrea_Mayer and @Bastien_Siebman for these tips! I’m referring specifically to what is shown in this article from Asana on how to optimize My Tasks. Is that functionality no longer available?

Not available anymore indeed, Today-Upcoming-Later became sections themselves.

You might get that behavior back when they allow custom fields in My Tasks, but not sure when or how it will look.

@Erica_Seidman,

As a hack you could use Milestone tasks (Premium and above) to mimic the subsections you’re looking for.

Also, as you look for what works best for you and what’s possible, you may appreciate the various alternate My Tasks approaches I present here:

Larry

4 Likes

Hi there @Rebecca_McGrath,

I’m wondering if there are any updates with regard to this topic?
I believe that having subsections would be beneficial for teams that are still using waterfall planning methodology.
For me, personally, it would improve the brainstorming part when we are designing the project scope.
In addition to that, if I would be able to assign owners for each section (subsection) and Asana would pull the earliest start and latest due date from nested tasks (subtasks) this would be great!

1 Like

Hi @anon67266255, thanks for reaching out! While I don’t have any updates on this request just yet, I’ll comment here as soon as I do :slight_smile: Be sure to add your vote too by clicking the vote button at the top of the page.

As Customer Service department in a fast growing company, I would love to be able to create a divider in my sections, similar to the tab+N function in subtasks. FYI. our CS department currently has 14 projects with approximately 8 sections each.

For us this would be extremely useful on a busy board to avoid having to create too many subtasks in subtasks or make the board even wider by adding sections. Examples:

• Separate tasks that need to be brought to attention during a next meeting from tasks that have been brought to attention during the last meeting but that can not be completed yet.

• Separate tasks concerning different markets to have oversight on a glance.

• Separate customer service tasks concerning different departments within the company.

Hi @Heidi_Roele, thanks for providing this feedback!

While this feature isn’t available at this time, hopefully it’s something our Product team can implement in the future

We do have an existing thread for this feature request in the #productfeedback category so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with the existing one to consolidate feedback.

I’ll keep you posted and let you know if I have any updates :slight_smile:

For large projects that have multiple workstreams, sub-sections would be useful. For example, if section was Technology, I need to have sub-sections for: development, data, infrastructure, which have it’s own distinct tasks. Creating customization fields is a workaround but an extra step to remember if you have a number of sub-sections.

I’d like the ability to nest sections within other sections, to create subsections. Thanks!

Hi Bill,

I believe when you use the short crtl + n when toggled into a main task, this should create a bold underlined section. I think there are some other posts around that detail it out with some screenshots, and I can try and find one!

Edit: I found it: Subtask Sections (aka Subsections) - The Hidden Story

2 Likes

I can’t believe that this topic was raised in 2018 and now there still aren’t subsections in 2022. Would be super beneficial to have… :-1: :-1: :-1:

10 Likes

Another vote for subsections as native feature here.

1 Like

Hi @Rebecca_McGrath ,

Are there any updates regarding this idea?

Hi! Curious if Asana is looking into this feature. For large projects, this is a huge need!

1 Like

This feature was requested 5.5 years ago and it’s still not there…
Please add this, because big projects become really messy without it. This is the main reason why Asana is not taking off in our teams.

The date a feature was requested is irrelevant. How many request it, whether or not it is aligned with Asana philosophy and design principles, their roadmap, the availability of their teal etc should.

2 Likes

Just following-up on the “sub-section” feature as it would be of GREAT help to my team as our projects get more large and complex!

Currently, we are creating a new project for every initiative on every account, and it is causing mass overwhelm for the team as we try to transition to a more Asana-based way of working.

Having the option of adding sub-sections will help me IMMENSELY in streamlining the number of projects per team by being able to more effectively merge multiple functions into 1 project in a more organized way, stay organized with minimum clicks, and reduce overwhelm in the team.

Example: We may have a major/large project that spans multiple quarters. Sections denote the quarter in which each milestone was hit, subsections the department that accomplished it, and tasks to denote each task within the milestone that was done to accomplish it. Then subtasks are assigned by team leads to individual contributors to hold them accountable.

I cannot provide too many specifics, but the above is for illustrative purposes.