A new way to write clearer, more detailed tasks

I don’t mind the change but as feedback, the section dragging feature doesn’t seem very intuitive at all when working with bulleted and nested-bulleted lists.

4 Likes

One of my Asana accounts did not yet receive the update. Sorry, no option to switch back to the old version; it is just a matter of time until I get the update on that account too.

Gotcha. Thank you for the additional context.

The standard triple-click behaviour is still there; it is, however, a matter of using the description field with the right intention to trigger the correct behaviour.

The difference versus the legacy version of the Description Field is that the triple click now selects the entire block of text instead of the single line.

:point_right: You create a text block when:

• Hitting ENTER.
  • Copy/pasting the address.

So both use cases above will produce the standard triple click behaviour; it is just a matter of being aware and intentional with your typing.

2022-09-30 Screenshot 000340

:point_right: You create a single text block instead by using SHIFT + ENTER.
2022-09-30 Screenshot 000341
So again, it can’t happen by mistake, you have to be deliberate about your typing to override the default triple-click behaviour, as you are used to hitting ENTER for a new line and not SHIFT + ENTER.

:bulb: The key in your case is merely not using the SHIFT + ENTER. Yes, compared to the legacy design, the three text lines will be farther away from each other, but that’s necessary to allow the user to understand visually and with no hesitation how many blocks they are looking at now.

So keep doing what you did before and all should work just like before in a slightly more polished design. Allow yourself to adjust to the new design. It is normal at the beginning to find it unusual or even frustrating if you were satisfied with the previous design already. Some initial discomfort is a natural component of “change” and also why change management, in general, is hard; change puts people out of their comfort zone, which usually however means expansion of meaning and improvement.

My conclusion is that now the user is given more options and flexibility in a very clean interface. Just my personal opinion, I don’t expect you to agree :wink:

Cheers,
Rosario

1 Like

Right, so in the new one - one block created by hitting Shift + Enter, the triple click highlights the entire block.

In the new one - 3 blocks, created by hitting enter, the triple click only selects the block.

However, now the issue comes in that we are wasting tons of space and there is too much whitespace. I don’t know what this obsession is that programmers seem to have lately with excessive white space on the screen.

There really needs to be an option “Rich Text” editor or “Plain Text” editor for the Description and Comments.

@Rebecca_McGrath Can we please get an option for Rich Text/Plain Text editor in the description and comment field? For our application, this new update is not progress in a positive direction.

2 Likes

Totally agree about the invisible formatting option making it looks like there are trailing newlines in the description box! I’ve been adjusting the descriptions in our teams templates and this is a (small) but frustrating change for me because I end up checking over and over again to make sure I didn’t leave extra spaces in it.

1 Like

This is a very exciting update, and I look forward to testing it out when it’s available on our domain :slight_smile: . It appears to be very similar to Notion’s editor, which is awesome. While it’s a big change from the current editor and it’s going to take time to get used to it, I think this is the future. We will have so much flexibility.

Questions:

1. Is the new editor going to support the insert options such as [code], tables, divider lines, toggles, and highlighted notes/callouts?

2. Also, are comments going to support this new editor?

6 Likes

Don’t know if this has been said yet, but being able to inline images would help with giving context to a block of text - or able to inline and attached file (eg. pdf) too.

Not tried out the feature completely yet so will send feedback when I have.

Very much echo what has been said above about the other markdown formatter types that are missing.

1 Like

Will we have the option to disable this, or at least change the hotkey used to activate the menu?
The " / " or forwardslash is used often when writing notes and descriptions to denote “or”.
If it was possible to change it to another, much less-often used character such as " \ " or backslash, that would be great.
I understand several apps use the forwardslash (such as Notion), however I find this to be a big distraction that gets in the way when writing. Some apps use the “@” instead (such as Google docs) for this sort of function.

A post was split to a new topic: New People and Date custom fields

Hi @Erjon_Metohu,

Yes, table support will launch soon, and section breaks should already be available. Toggles and highlighted notes/callouts, aren’t included in this launch but they may be considered in a future update!

Yes, our plan is to roll out this new editor everywhere else in Asana, including in comments. Stay tuned for more updates on this topic!

3 Likes

I don’t mind having the different sections, as I do think that that could be helpful to break things up and being to reorganise when needed. But the one thing I don’t really enjoy with this new update is the fact that the formatting options are all hidden under the plus and that can be a bit annoying to be going into that constantly to apply the formatting desired.

Would also maybe be nice to have it so that you can choose to add a new section to the description as it is creating a new section every time I place enter. I need to do shift enter to keep it within the same description but that causes issues when trying to create a bulleted list or want to have a slight break between two paragraphs!

4 Likes

Can I no longer indent lists? I used the indent feature on most of my descriptions

I see it now - hidden in a new place, some relief

Thanks for responding to my questions, Marie. That’s great to hear. Just to confirm, that includes inserting markdown as well, correct?

@Erjon_Metohu, I don’t believe there was any mention of Markdown support to lead to that assumption.

Larry

Thanks for letting me know. We have been waiting for markdown support for years. Being a web agency, this is a must for us. I was hoping with this new editing format we would get that ability. Slack, Notion and many of the other PM tools have had this feature for years. This is so frustrating that Asana has not prioritized adding markdown support over the years. There must be some security reason that’s prohibiting them from adding it.

2 Likes

Is there a way to merge multiple text blocks into one?

1 Like

Thanks @Rebecca_McGrath

I hope this comes to forms whereby we can map questions to headings.

I’m a fan of the updates!

2 Likes

Hi guys!
I have been testing this task description and so far I’m in love with this!
Few questions from our clients side though.

1. Seems like they can’t put the image nor youtube yet. Would this be available in the future?

2. When we drag in an email by using (x@mail.asana.com & more), would the chart be shown as well? Right now, all charts come into Asana broken.