When creating a project template, there is an unwanted untitled section

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing:
When creating a project template, there is an unwanted untitled section

Steps to reproduce:
Create a template with 2 sections
Use template to create project
Project has 3 sections, first one named “Untitled section”

Browser version:
Chrome Version 108.0.5359.124 (Official Build) (x86_64)

Upload screenshots below:

Welcome to the Asana Community Forum @Sharon_Platkin!

Based on the screenshot on the template you want to create the Untitled section must have been in your project before you tried to mark it as template.

So either go back to the project and remove the section or create the template and then edit the template.

Normally once you store a template it looks like this:
Screenshot_2797

Now in your case it seems you are creating a project from a template. That means either continue creating the project and then remove the section or locate the project template, then edit the template and then create the new project from the template.

Let me know in case you have any questions

I created a net new project using the template that did not have that section. Here is a screenshot of the template I’m using to make a brand new project, and every time that section is present :frowning:

I can reproduce this, and also if you just create a project from scratch it will have an Untitled section, perhaps because of the Board requirement for their to be one section.

I find myself deleting the Untitled section all the time and wish there was a way for Asana not create one unless it was really needed.

Larry

Hm that is very strange indeed.
I never experienced that but it seems it is regularly happening as @lpb mentioned.

I just also found this post and explanation, have a look: Remove untitled section in Board view - #7 by LEGGO

1 Like

Hey everybody! I have the same issue, and the remedy described in @Andrea_Mayer’s linked post (switch to board view and delete the untitled section) unfortunately does not work for project templates since you cannot edit them in board view. Am I missing something here or is this a bug? Thanks and best, Eike

Hi all and thanks for your input.

@lpb is correct; this untitled section automatically appears in the Board view to house tasks created outside of sections in the List View. This is the only way to ensure a user can switch between views regardless of the structure of their project.

When projects contain no tasks outside of sections, the “untitled section” can be removed from the Board view, however, the second a task is created outside of section in another view, this section will automatically re-appear to house section-less tasks in the Board view.

And because the template builder is only available in List view this untitled section can’t be deleted from there – instead it needs to be deleted from the project generated. I agree this is not ideal --in particular for Board users, but it is the only way for Boards to cohabitate with the ability to create tasks outside of sections in other project views. With that, everything is working as expected here, and I would label this a product limitation rather than a bug.

I hope this all makes sense, but please let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

1 Like

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing: I created a template without an untitled section but when I create a project using this template, untitled section showed up.

Steps to reproduce: Create template (Todo, In progress, Done) > Create project using the template > Untitled section is showing

Browser version:

Upload screenshots below:

Welcome, @anon42368967,

A few of us have reported this before and Asana doesn’t categorize it as a bug, so I’ve moved your post to that existing thread to consolidate. See the post from Marie near the end that explains what’s happening and what can be done.

Thanks,

Larry

Is there any plans to be able to edit templates in board view. That would be the appropriate fix to this issue.

This topic was automatically closed after 3 days. New replies are no longer allowed.