What if, how to practically do backups?

How are teams going about the need to safeguard against data loss?

What if …
… asana suddenly went backrupt?
… one of these infamous mini nukes hit asana headquarters?
… <add other horror scenarios you don’t really want to think of>

Please don’t read this as me trying to cast a shadow on asana’s reliability, security, etc.; that’s not at all my intention. I simply have some folks around me that are very uncomfortable about us not having a solid safety net for such scenarios. And I’d assume that there are lots of others having similar feelings.

How are teams going about making sure that the data they’re maintaining in asana can remaini accessible and useful, no matter what?

I’ve looked into the CSV export; it has too many limitations.
Bridge24 seems promising; I’ll still have to see how well that will serve my purpose.

I’d very much appreciate some hints, guidance, etc. on this.

Thanks very much in advance
Werner

15 Likes

Hi Werner,

Good question! Here are a couple resources for you to get started:

1 Like

You could use the API to do a manual export. I don’t think there is an existing feature for this, but we could discuss the details if you want.

What about Attachments (PDF’s, pictures, etc.)? I don’t think the API will extract those.

1 Like

Hey @Blake_Hickman you can extract attachments via the API following these steps: Build an app with Asana

1 Like

While using the API is definitely a technical option, it’s one that’s:

1. not open to all user groups - as you need to have a certain amount of software development capacity in order to be able to go this route
  2. basically, the same for all user groups - so I’m hoping someone has already “been there, done that” so we can leverage from that?
2 Likes

If this is a real need for your organization, you need more than just the data, you need a way to display a read-only version of your backup.

In your nightmare scenario, there’s no asana to reload the data into. Is this a big enough need for your company that you are willing to build something, or subscribe to a secondary service, or pay extra to Asana for some kind of guarantee?

Second, it’s not realistic that Asana would go ‘Poof’ overnight. Per their data privacy and security policy, Asana’s data and application servers are not on-premise. Anything catastrophic enough to take them out completely would affect major parts of the internet – the economic impact would be huge for the entire world – and your particular data would probably be a footnote next to the macro-economic forces. Much more realistic is a financial failure at Asana which would be much more gradual, and Asana would be able to communicate about it in a timely way.

If you’re responsible for this decision at your organization, you are responsible for other, more important, realistic concerns. I’d advise you to focus on them.

– Ben

1 Like

You could use three-dots.io but that would require a lot of manual work going project by project :sweat_smile:

• If this is a real need for your organization, you need more than just the data, you need a way to display a read-only version of your backup.

Well … “if this is a real need” isn’t the best question to ask here, IMO. Apart from that, I agree.

• In your nightmare scenario, there’s no asana to reload the data into. Is this a big enough need for your company that you are willing to build something, or subscribe to a secondary service, or pay extra to Asana for some kind of guarantee?

Subscribing to a secondary service would be an option. Building something isn’t; we don’t have the skills and the problem isn’t specific to our organization.

• Second, it’s not realistic that Asana would go ‘Poof’ overnight. Per their data privacy and security policy, Asana’s data and application servers are not on-premise. Anything catastrophic enough to take them out completely would affect major parts of the internet – the economic impact would be huge for the entire world – and your particular data would probably be a footnote next to the macro-economic forces. Much more realistic is a financial failure at Asana which would be much more gradual, and Asana would be able to communicate about it in a timely way.

That’s one aspect, and certainly a valid one.

So if all of a sudden Asana were to tell us that e.g. they found some greener meadows so their current product would have to be discontinued (please don’t anyone get that wrong …), then we’d certainly want our data back. Even if we wouldn’t quite know yet what do actually do with it :neutral_face:

• If you’re responsible for this decision at your organization, you are responsible for other, more important, realistic concerns. I’d advise you to focus on them.

I can understand how you can come to that conclusion.
I don’t think it’s a mandatory conclusion for everyone, though.

1 Like

That list item formatting didn’t work, sorry.
Is there a way to update a post?

I will edit it myself, I think you need to have posted a few times to do this (or be a moderator like me)

Is it better?

1 Like

Yes, that’s exactly how the post should have looked like in the first place. Thanks, Bastien!

1 Like

So… no real answers found here? :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Hello everyone! Looking at ways where we can export data. Is there a way to manually backup our Asana data ourselves?
Please can you add links to the relevant help pages, as this would be very helpful and much appreciated! :slight_smile:

It’s a real need for every business with every data set, moreso with mission critical data. I love Asana, but this is a weakness. I presume they don’t want it exportable because then competitors would say, “Import your data to our (better!) system.”

1 Like

A “simple” script can use the API to export the data :slight_smile:

Bastien_Siebman

Please advise how this would be done.

I suggest you hire a developer for this, you can find some on iDO Tools - Improve Asana with our tools and automations

If we export to JSON, how can that data be viewed easily by a human. Meaning, CSV exports can be pretty easily read and understood. JSON exports are hard to read for a human. I saw that for full company exports, only JSON is as option, so this is why I ask.