We're extending our spreadsheet view to My Tasks!

Hi @Marie Tags are visible now, but its not possible to add tags to a multiple selected tasks. Do you plan to add this also?

1 Like

I am sure if that is something that the Asana community uses a lot, they will work on this to resolve this as soon as they can.

Would it be possible to keep the project name in the tasks list when you are viewing the details of a task?
The previous view would keep the task name, project name and due date when you click on a task. So while you were seeing the details of a specific task on the right, you could still see these information for other tasks on the left.

1 Like

I’m finding that the updated list view makes it significantly more difficult to find relevant tasks and information. Members of my team and I feel that the excel-like grid makes it harder to distinguish tasks from sections and locate individual tasks. The overall effect makes our task list feel cluttered instead of simplified.

I know “change it back to the way it was” is one of the most common requests for any design change, but in this case, it seems to noticeably impact my productivity. Is there an option to get rid of the grid?

3 Likes

Are you referring to the My Tasks view or Asana in general? Because My Tasks will soon be a regular project, there is no way I am seeing Asana go back on this.

1 Like

@Chasity_Scoggins thanks for sharing your feedback with us and reporting this! Our team is aware of this issue and a fix has been deployed today. If it’s not available to you yet, it will be soon!

@Dita_Zaludova_Didi I just tested and I’m able to add tags in My Tasks when multi-selecting tasks. You need to first enable the Tags column in the Customize section and once the column is visible in your List view, you can multi-select your tasks > click to add a tag to one of the selected tasks and the tag you add will be automatically added to all selected tasks :slight_smile:

ezgif.com-gif-maker (26)

@Ledimeri_Borsa I believe this is still possible, see the gif below. Let me know if this is not what you are trying to see :raised_hands:

ezgif.com-gif-maker (25)

@Jason19 it’s not possible to revert this update but we’ll make sure to share your feedback and all the feedback shared in this thread with our product team so they can consider it when implement future updates in My Tasks. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us!

4 Likes

I’m afraid I agree with Jason19 that this is a backward step.

I appreciate that it brings additional functionality but I was happy with the My Tasks view the way it was and didn’t need more functions. They way it looks and feels is now significantly worse which makes it less enjoyable to use.

I appreciate that the majority of feedback above is positive and so it is unlikely to be reversed. So grateful if the following adjustments can be made to improve the feel of it:

1. Allowing increasing font size: I can’t see the way it was previously, but it feels much harder to read which I think is down to the font size being smaller. The page also has lots of wasted space now, so there is plenty of scope to increase font size. Given that people with long tasks titles may want to keep a small font size, allowing people to adjust it would make sense.

2. Removing gridlines: the gridlines are distracting and make t look worse. Again, this could be given as a setting that can be changed, given that some people may like the gridlines.

3. Add back colour to Project titles: previously the colours associated with each Project were given as a block behind the title text, whereas now the background colour is grey with a dot of colour at the front. This not only makes the My Tasks view more boring but also makes it harder to spot the related Project at a glance.

Grateful if the above changes can be made ASAP? Since I spent most of the day looking at the My Tasks view, it needs to be as user friendly as possible otherwise I will be tempted to consider alternative software that gets the aesthetics right.

Thanks,

Strahan

4 Likes

I am concerned how this would affect the iOS app. As of right now, the spreadsheet view for projects in the iOS app is very cumbersome to use, clearly designed more for large-screen devices such as iPad and laptops and desktops. Furthermore, app doesn’t even go in landscape mode to help.

Yes! Asana has been working amazingly on the laptop screen so far, much better than any other software I have used. I am sure it will be the same amazing thing on the iPad screen. The mobile app was passable previously but the recent changes brought out to the mobile app (spreadsheet views in Projects on a mobile app?!) have cut my user experience in half. I tend to avoid using Asana on mobile and this is a problem.

I love Asana on the desktop. I wish the same could be said for the mobile app.

This update will only make sense if in short time Asana, adds:

• custom fields
  • rules
  • uses the fact that now you have per account custom field and fix workload once and for all
    Otherwise we can just put it into the recoloring group of updates without actual value.
1 Like

Looking forward to this update. Still waiting at present. When can we expect it to have 100% rolled out?

1 Like

Hi @K5YD6H,

It will most likely take another week or two - I’ll be sure to post an update here as soon as it’s rolled out to all customers!

2 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

Alright, we can do with a late Christmas and an early New Year present from Asana.

1 Like

The biggest thing this change breaks for me in my workflow is the use of keyboard shortcuts. For example @Emily_Roman I see now that adding tasks to multiple tasks is still possible (I thought it was lost), but what has been lost is the ability to do so with keyboard shortcuts. I used to just select multiple tasks, hit Tab+T, then type the first two letters of my Tag and hit enter. With spreadsheet view I feel like I’m moving my mouse and clicking around a lot more; this is a huge step backward for me. I’ve been using Asana for many many years but if I never know when a workflow-breaking change will come without warning and without reversion ability I’m not sure I can continue to do so.

2 Likes

We got it, most people did not realize, since it brings nothing new. Very disappointed, but it is becoming the standard at Asana recently

1 Like

If you create a New Section - is it collapsible like in the projects or it is just beautiful? Mine cannot collapse, but want to understand if it is expected behavior.

Anyway we can go back to the look previously, I’m getting a headache looking at new layout, is there a toggle function or it is what it is?

1 Like

@Emily_Roman Interesting – Our team was having the same concern as @Ledimeri_Borsa about not being able to see the project names in the My Tasks when a task is opened. Your gif had me go check it out, and I realized I can make it work, but only if I vastly expand the width of my browser. I usually have two windows open side by side, so this will impact my work process… I’d love to know if it could be adjusted to still function on a narrower browser window.

Yes please! It is much harder to find the project that I am looking for because the background color is gray now instead of the color of the project. It would be awesome to be able to change it back and would really help us!

1 Like