Visual sections: why and when using a custom field is better than a section

Hi :wave:,

If you want to have visual sections in an asana project, there are two ways: use real Sections or use a custom field and sort by that custom field.

Note: for that last trick to work properly, you need to un-toggle “Sort within sections” in the Sort menu.

I have a preference for the second solution, but because I had no tangible reason, I decided to really study the difference.

Why use sections (solution #1):

1. sections become columns in board view, not custom fields
  2. sections display lanes in Timeline view
  3. people get confused with solution #2 because they can’t create a new section easily
  4. you can still sort by another field now possible with multi-sort
  5. it works with the Free plan
  6. you’ll be able to see subtasks if you don’t sort (thanks @Nicholas_Bittner)

Why use a custom field (solution #2):

1. you can share custom fields between projects
  2. you can search for custom fields more easily than sections
  3. if a task has several statuses/stages with custom fields, having another status with the section is weird
  4. if you have too many tasks within a section, the section itself might be outside the screen and you can’t see it when a custom field could always be visible in a column
  5. you can still have the 2nd level of section if you use a custom field for the 1st level
  6. if there are not tasks with that value, the “section” does not show

Did I miss anything?

:fr: Version française

10 Likes

Great topic @Bastien_Siebman this is really something I often wonder about.

If you use sections then you can sort by a custom field or by due date, while you can’t sort (for instance by due date) within “custom field sections”.

3 Likes

Good point, I’ll add it

3 Likes

Nice comparison, @Bastien_Siebman. In addition:

• Sections are best for free plans since Custom Fields aren’t available
  • Custom Fields help solve the want-to-hide-section-header-containing-only-completed-tasks problem.

Larry

4 Likes

What about… Custom Fields can serve as a sub-section of a Section.

1 Like

@Bastien_Siebman Nice analysis!

Usually I like to summarize it by:

• Sections = project-specific concepts
  • Custom Fields = global concepts across projects

If you’re a fan of visual management (using colours), then Custom Fields are definitely better, whether using Lists or Boards or Timelines or Calendars.

3 Likes

Yes that was my you can still have the 2nd level of section if you use a custom field for the 1st level

Well done! Thanks, added.

Unless you use a custom field locally only to build sections, isn’t it?

2 Likes

I’m very curious about this but not sure I entirely follow. As a visual learner, is there a way to see an example of something organised by sections versus an example where someone used custom fields?

It looks exactly the same =)

For me I am using the custom fields to curate data and house in one place and then the sections to communicate where that data is in a process or summary.

It does take more time to set up fields and custom fields but it does help with better data management and rules.

2 Likes

If custom fields are so great :wink: then what becomes of sections? What do you use sections for when you’re custom fields are marking stages or status? Just curious.

@Nicholas_Bittner, Some of the posts in this thread recommend when to use sections, and also when to use sections and custom fields together. For another take, and screenshots, on the latter, see also my tip here:

Larry

1 Like

Another pro for Sections: Tasks under a section’s sort show the subtasks. When the tasks are sorted by a custom field, the subtasks are not visible from the list view.

For me, the project organizing principal is what determines which section divisions are created. Sometimes it the status (ie, open, waiting for, closed), other times the item type (ie, action, log, issue, standard)

2 Likes

Thanks @Nicholas_Bittner , I have added your point!

I really don’t see the point of sections. Why not just have fields, and let me decide which field to use as columns (so sections) for the Board view?

you can still have the 2nd level of section if you use a custom field for the 1st level

I don’t understand this.

When sections where introduced, custom fields did not even exist. This is a step by step development process, Asana is just not as far as you would hope :slight_smile:

Julie, how do you use Sections and then also sort by Custom Field? When I Sort by Custom field, the sections dissapear. I need two levels of sorting, first the section and then custom field within the section. Thank you

1 Like

You need to open the Sort menu and toggle on/off the “sort within sections”