View time tracking entries as a list

We just moved from Everhour to native time tracking and our team realized there is no ability to see a list of what they worked on a given day. It’s a pretty normal habit to review your time at the end of the day and make sure everything was logged and accounted for, but there’s no way to filter tasks on time entry by me and time entry in the last X days. Even if you could, you’d see the total for ALL the time logged against that task which is not the goal. I want to know how much time I have logged for the day.

Making time entries viewable in their own view is an unfortunate necessity to ensuring consistent entry of time, something I need my team to do.

Could we please get a view we can click on the left nav that shows ALL time entries, with filters to allow us to filter to a specific user and period of days?

2 Likes

I am wondering the same thing! @Steve_Robinson did you find an answer to this?

Agreed! We use Harvest and are testing Asana’s time tracking to have everything in one place, but are realizing there is no holistic time-tracking report we can look at to see how much time each person spent on the current day, current week, etc. We would need this time-tracking reporting to make the switch.

Our team never did find a solution to this. We would still very much like this feature. Our total time tracked has gone down since moving from Everhour to Asana :frowning:

I agree. I feel like otherwise the time tracking feature isn’t useful and you will end up using a different platform for time tracking anyway.

Hi @Cara_Grogan (welcome to the forum!), @Steve_Robinson and others,

Agreed that this would be a tremendously helpful feature. In the meantime, if you are on one of the paid tiers mentioned in this article, you could consider using universal reporting to accomplish this. Create a task report, include all tasks from your organization, and set the x-axis to “Time added by”, y-axis to “Actual Time”, and apply any filters you want (e.g., time added by date range, time added by specific people, etc.)

This workaround does not give all the information needed in one view. What is needed is a list functionality where we can see when the time was recoreded, against what task and by who. The graph at the moment only shows total recorded per day. With some work you can filter by person, but in that case surely the information is there, so why can it not be pulled out?

Hi @Louis_Pond_Thompson , welcome to the forum! I see what you’re saying, and that information is technically available via the API if you or your team are technical (I think you could experiment with webhooks/events or chaing together some calls to grab all tasks updated in a certain period and pull time entries from them and filter by entry date).

I do not work for Asana and have no insight into their roadmap, so I can’t comment on why the haven’t or when they might deliver something like you’re asking for, but IMO, that is a pretty large feature lift (you’d basically be creating an entirely new area/report type in Asana specifically for time tracking; that feels like a huge dev/UX lift to me).

In the meantime, I hope you’re able to at least piece together most of the data you need either using the referenced workaround (or something similar) or experimenting with the API. Also, if you haven’t already, please make sure you upvote this topic using the purple vote button hear the top.

1 Like

Hi Stephen,

Great thank you for your reply its really appreciated. I will look into the API and see what I can get out.

Although I would disagree on it being a major uplift, I know the data is already there because I can create a graph that shows time tracked per person using the day the time was tracked as the date field. So all the information is there to put it in a graph, it just cannot be shown as a list feature. There much be a list of the information sitting behind the graph to produce the graph. All we need is the data used to populate a graph in a list view.

Hopefully this is a feature that comes soon.

Cheers,
Louis!