Using service account to create a task in behalf of another user

It was advertised that Asana enterprise would give us service accounts and that these basically unlock “God mode”. I want to use the service account to create a task in behalf of another user. It’s an internal system creating these tasks based on data, and we need them to be created by someone other than the service account. Curious if this is an undocumented possibility? I’ve tried using the user’s GID in the “created_by” field to no avail. I’m saddened because we left another service that did this perfectly and got Asana because it was “better”. It’s better in ways, but lacking in so many other ways.

My understanding is that this is not possible with a service account, but would be possible if you authorize as the user you need (with a Personal Access Token, for example) which I recognize may not be feasible in your case.

Thanks,

Larry

1 Like

I concur with @lpb; the Service Account is “God” in the sense that it can access data from other users, which non-Service Accounts cannot do. However when it updates data, it still operates as itself; there’s currently no facility for it to impersonate another user.

1 Like

Thanks. That’s what we are currently doing. I’m coming from a different service that had this capability and boy am I missing it. Where do we submit feature requests?

There isn’t a formal mechanism beyond discussing it here, but I’m @mentioing some people to help that out.

@Jeff_Schneider @John_Baldo @Kem_Ozbek

Thanks for mentioning us, Phil. I’ve noted this feedback internally.

This is actually the first time I can recall the need to impersonate users (generally, the ask is the opposite i.e. how to attribute actions to a bot/app/integration and not to the user who’s PAT authed it).

@Addam sorry for the confusion about what “God mode” encompasses for service accounts. Many of our customers have auditing and regulatory requirements that would make impersonating users problematic (this is why many enterprise customers prefer to use service accounts over PATs).

There could be potential workarounds to solve your underlying use case. If you can share more details about what you are looking to accomplish with the internal system, I may be able to suggest other mechanisms for doing it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.