Using email to create new tasks/subtasks

Hello! I brand new to Asana and couldn’t figure this out.
Is there a possibility to post a task or subtask straight from my email?
I read few articles but I’m confused.
Can you please help or just share a link to the instructions?
Thank you in advance.
Regards,
Irina

1 Like

Hi @Irina1 welcome to Asana and the community.
Yes there are a couple of ways to achieve this for Tasks.
If you send your email to the address x@ mail.asana.com. This will appear in your My Tasks list as long as you have set the appropriate from email address within your properties.
Each project also has an email address that you can send email directly to which will add an unassigned tasks to that project.
There are also extensions available for Gmail, outlook365 that came do this. There is also third party apps like Sendana which can do this as well.

Now for email directly to Sub Tasks I am not sure if there is a solution for this. Sendana might be an option @James_Carl is it?

For further info on how emails work have a look at these guide articles

Hope this helps. The community is a great place to get help/advice

Jason.

1 Like

Thanks @Jason. Sendana’s ability to add subtasks is in final development with my developer @EricLegault. Here is a sneek preview for what we may call Sendana Pro. A two tab power Outlook Add-In that maintains all the power of the current Sendana but meets the demands of some of the most requested features from your Outlook Add-in.

1. Look up Task and Subtasks by Designated Project in Alphabetical order with subtasks indented
  2. Change the Current Collaborators of the task or subtask that was looked up
  3. Add an attachment only to a looked up Task or Subtask
  4. Add the email body or free form comment to an existing Task or Subtask
  5. Create a subtask to a task or subtask and more …

4 Likes

I received the full functioning Sendana last night with this capability working. I am alpha-testing it thoroughly because it adds so much additional functionality to Sendana.

2 Likes

Sounds like yet another exciting upgrade to what is already a fantastic tool

2 Likes

Hey there - Just wondering if anyone has found a way to add a task with subtasks through gmail? Thanks in advance!

Welcome, @Jorgia_Van_de_Sype! There is a Gmail add on that allows you to create tasks from emails-- I personally think it needs a little refining, but it is a helpful tool.

Here’s some more information: Asana for Gmail Add-On | Product Guide • Asana Product Guide

Let me know if you have any questions! :sunglasses:

Hello James,
I have just downloaded the sendana for a try looking for this specific feature (add a subtask to a taks) and I don’t seem to find it… Can you direct me to it?
Thanks, N

While I do have a functioning version, it became to slow to pull the associated subtasks in a timely basis. So it apparently will take a major re-write of how data is pulled through the API. No timeline for now. Sorry.

@James_Carl
Thanks for the reply.
Off topic and not in the proper place. When I create a task from outlook, I always get a pop-up window that the task was created - reassuring but a bit annoying because you need to close the window. However, this is followed by another identical window - double, if redundant, reassuring but double annoying because you also have to click it off.
Thansk, N

Please click Report a problem under options. Thanks

Hello, is it normal for duplicate tasks to randomly be created when using the send to email feature? Particularly I am using the Google Form to Email and have set up using the recommended option by Asana.

I have confirmed on Google/Gmail end the email is only being sent once. However, under Asana sometimes duplicate tasks get created.

Have submitted Asana support ticket, but have not received response in about 2 months. I have followed up but still no response. So was hoping this may trigger a response or if anyone has some insight on avoiding this.

Thanks!

Hi @Israel_Gonzalez I have used the Google Forms & Asana integration and haven’t ever had duplicate tasks created. Not sure how this could be happening…

Jason.