User-level "save layout as default"

I almost almost always filter the layout to just my tasks. This reduces the clutter that I see when viewing my whole team’s tasks in a project and allows me to better focus on what’s up next. When I found that I could save that layout as default, I was pumped. Saved me several clicks all the time. But then I discovered that this was a project-level setting, not user-level, so I was making my whole team look at my tasks. What a bummer! It would be a great quality-of-life improvement to save this setting at the user-level.

33 Likes

Welcome to the Forum @Ryan_Chitwood and thank you for sharing your suggestion with us!

I agree it would be great to save the setting at user-level. I upvote it :raised_hands:
I’ll keep you posted as soon as I have any update regarding it!

Have a great Wednesday! :wave:

8 Likes

At the moment there is only “default” layout or temporary one (with Quick shortcuts) (see help/faq/toolbar-updates Asana Guide). One can persist temporary sets/filters/sorting/fields into “default” List View Layout. There are cases when there are several layouts useful in specific project for selected users or for many/all users.

I would suggest possibility to save custom layouts to More… menu for user herself (like Saved Reports with ability to name it), or share the saved layout with other users to reuse (if Adaptive Project Views suggestion is implemented that can automatically move out of More… menu.)

2 Likes

I’ll add that using the My Tasks serves as a somewhat adequate alternative.

2 Likes

Thank you for connecting related requests.

While I do support that everyones default view of per project can be different, there is still room for multiple switchable views, that would be shared between projects members.

An option to choose the scope (myself-only or everyone) when setting the view as default would be welcome. The “Everyone” scope would apply only to those users that have no personal ovveride set for the project.

3 Likes

User-level “save layout” would be a significant UX improvement. Not only do different user types prefer different filter settings, they also would show/hide different attribute columns. Surprising Asana doesn’t have this. What would be ideal is to cop the “Saved Views” model from Aha!, where a user can save as many different views as they want to create distinct views for “summary” or “detailed”, or for work in particular phases, etc. Those saved views can be “user only” or made available to all users. Asana’s “one size fits all” model is very limiting, and also enforces a “top-down” approach for how users should interact with and prioritize the content - that’s not very Agile :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yes. Agree. I have the exact same feelings. I’m thinking the URL should have the filter setting as a parameter. :sunglasses: :+1:

2 Likes

Your suggestion is too bulky. We should be able to just copy the url from the address bar and create a browser favorite to the filtered view. That’s my expectation as a user. Not this other multistep complex bulky other method. No thanks.

2 Likes

Please! I’m tired of filtering and sorting every time I enter a board. I used save layout as default with the idea it was just for me and everyone else started seeing only my tasks filtered.
We need this! It’s such a basic use-case!

10 Likes

I don’t fully understand what you’re saying but I don’t think it would be too bulky to just replace the current option (save layout as default) with the options “save this layout for me” and “save this layout for everyone.”

Your solution seems to be accessing Asana via browser bookmarks instead of actually navigating in the platform itself? This makes in-app navigation options (like project at-mentions, for example) kinda useless.

1 Like

+1 To the idea of user-level layouts. We have a lot of different functions looking at the same boards and so having the ability to save a layout as my personal layout would definitely speed things up. Otherwise I find myself opening a board and running the same basic tasks every time - collapse a view, filter incomplete tasks, filter for just me, etc. Would be great to just do it once, but not for everyone!

3 Likes

Hello Natalia, any updates on this? Thanks in advance! Happy Holidays!

1 Like

@Emily_Roman I see that "Save default view just for just me" Option for Projects is still open but has 53 votes. Can it merge with this Topic?

I personally enjoy seeing all items on my to do lists, what I’ve done and what I need to do. I wish there was a way to set my account to default “view all tasks” instead of having to select that every time I go to a new project’s list. I love the idea of customizing it to just see what’s left to do or only see what has been accomplished, but like I said, I wish I could pick my own default option for what works for me most often.

When changing the view you can click “Save for everyone” and that will stay this way. Did you find it?

Is there an option to save the view just for one user instead of saving for everyone?

There is a weird trick about this if I recall, @Caisha weren’t you the one talking about this recently? Doesn’t the “everyone” actually stands for “me”?

Haha yes, the option that plagued me for months because I didn’t understand it! Technically, the ‘Save for Everyone’ view has two uses:

• In projects
  • My tasks

If you select ‘save for everyone’ in projects (like you want it to default to the calendar view), this applies to everyone. There is no way to save views in projects for certain people @Aron_Berger.

However, for my tasks , if you ‘Save for everyone’, you’re saying that anyone who looks at your task list specifically will see it like that. Instead of, like I thought, forcing everyone’s my task default sort to be the same as yours.

Also I’m moving this to the product feedback section and adjusting the title a little @Emily_Sorensen as I think the feature request is something to be considered (customizing views per person). Be sure to vote if you’re interested in it!

4 Likes

Looks to me like a bug, isn’t it? Having “save for everyone” in My Tasks… Thanks Caisha!

1 Like

So I know there is a “Save for Everyone” option when setting specific views, which is great for certain things. But is there any way to save a default view for just me specifically? I’ve already talked to a few people on my team, and we have different preferences for how we view tasks, so default for everyone isn’t that helpful. Any suggestions?

2 Likes