User has duplicated tasks

Some of the accounts in our organization have duplicated tasks. That is tasks with identical names, but different GIDs and some other properties. In the main app there are no duplicates, but in the API there are.

Here’s an example endpoint I’m using: https://app.asana.com/api/1.0/tasks?assignee=me&workspace=1182539446466321&completed_since=2024-09-03T07%3A38%3A00Z

And here’s the GID of one of the users that has trouble with these duplicates: 1182543018785605.

I’d like to make a correction. After talking to the user who had these duplicates, it turned out, that the tasks were also duplicated on the main app. I’d still like to know why. The issue persists for this user.

Here are example task duplicates: 1206495084182870, 1206495084182868.

Hi @Kamil_Obeidat,

Since the duplication is in the web app and not related to the API, I’ve moved this thread to a more appropriate forum section (and changed the title slightly).

The tasks that this user is seeing which are duplicated - how are those tasks being created? And when do the duplicates show up - immediately upon task creation, or sometime later? (To be clear, I’ve not ever heard of Asana duplicating tasks on its own and I suspect it’s something in this user’s environment - an automation or an integration, perhaps - but just asking some initial questions to try to look for clues.)

3 Likes

Some of them, but not all, have been created through the repeat function, but apparently they duplicated after the task had been closed. And again, some of the tasks duplicated despite not using the repeat function.

The user said the tasks never duplicated immediately after creating them. They duplicated usually after closing the task or changing the assignee, but also sometimes they duplicated unprompted.

The user only used an integrated third-party app we use in our organization. That app never creates tasks on its own however. It mostly just fetches the user’s task data. Only sometimes it changes things like the date or the priority of a given task, but other than that nothing.

What do you mean when you say “the repeat function” - do you mean “Duplicate task” in the 3-dots menu of the task detail pane, or the recurring-task feature, or ??

I’m talking about the “Set to repeat” option in the date picker.

That’s expected behavior. When you complete a recurring task, the next instance is created. It’s not a duplicate per se, it’s the next occurrence.

Maybe instead of just changing the assignee, they’re actually using the “Assign to multiple people” functionality? That creates a duplicate(s) of the task, assigned to the additional selected assignee(s), so that could explain a duplicate there.

If you carefully study what this user is doing, I bet you’ll find the “duplicates” are a function of the ways they’re using Asana. There haven’t been any reports of tasks duplicating on their own that I’ve seen reported.