Trouble opening files in Asana

Hi
I have received this error from a user:
“When we are attaching a file in our project management system, Asana, we get this screenshot below. If we click download, we can download it, but it’s not always necessary to download and save the file on our local pc’s (actually it’s rare we would have the need for that).
It seems like there is a firewall or limit to what we can open from Asana, so can you please whitelist files opened from Asana or whatever the solution is?”

Steps to reproduce:

Browser version: Chrome

Upload screenshots below:

Do you have any idea how we can fix this?

Hello @Nicklas_Andersen,

From the error message, I assume you’re attaching your file from a third-party provider like Google Drive or Dropbox. If that’s the case, note that Asana doesn’t actually attach the file but attaches a link to the file. When the file has been removed, or its permissions were updated in Google Drive/Dropbox, Asana may not be able to open the link anymore.

I would suggest removing the attachment and attaching it again. This will update the link to your attachment and should allow you to open your attachment in Asana.

If this doesn’t solve your issue, please reach out to our support team with a screencast, so we can take a closer look into this for you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks Marie for your quick reply!
Will check with user and get back to you.

1 Like

HI Marie,
It seems to resolve the issue :slight_smile:
Thanks for your reponse!
I will get back if for some reason it appears again.

This topic was automatically closed 16 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi,

When my team members or I try to view an attached a file in our project management system, Asana, we get this screenshot below. If we click download, we can download it, but it’s not always necessary to download and save the file on our local pc’s (actually it’s rare to have the need for that).
It seems like there is a firewall or limit to what we can open from Asana, so can you please whitelist files opened from Asana or whatever the solution is?
Also, all these documents were attached from our local pc’s. We were able to view it initially for about one week from the day we attached the files to the task. But after few days when we try again, error message pops up.

Screenshot of the error page:

Hi @anon20416769 , welcome to the forum :wave:
I’ve merged your post into this similar thread. Note @Marie 's response above.

In your case I believe the error is not in Asana but instead your file was moved or removed…

I am having similar issues. I’m sharing the document from our shared drive with no permission restrictions and still getting the 404 message. We can download it, but not view it.

I am having the same issue.

The files are being attached from company one drive. PDF’s open fine, but not MS docs. I get hte error:

I tried to open a word document and it was trying to open this link; https://view.officeapps.live.com/ and gave this error:

We are suffering same issue? Could you raise a hand for this topic?

Hi @Vojtech_Piska , in my experience, this error occurs when the attachment is the actual file, i.e. attached using the ‘Your computer’ option. In that case, you would have to download the file, open it using the MS desktop app, make changes and then upload the new version to Asana again - not good practice!

Instead, when you attach a file (essentially a link) using the ‘Onedrive/SharePoint’ option, you should not have this issue - the file should open in your broswer and load in the relative MS 365 online app (Word, Excel etc).

The other benefit with this is that you can also enable live previews within Asana.

Hi, yes I agree best practise is use Onedrive/Sharepoint option and it is our preferred way of working.

But I would say it should be working properly even if I choose a way of attaching file from computer.

Because it seems to be little bit buggy, sometimes it is working and word/excel file is displayed in web browser tab, sometimes it throws 404. it’s not deterministic behaviour and that is something we can not rely on.

OK interesting. Have you tried that using a different browser or in a private/incognito tab?

MS office file word, excel when uploaded in asana from pc it gives error,

but pdf jpeg is working and add feed back option works.

but same file when uploaded from SharePoint add feedback option does not work