Transforming limited access members to guests

Hi there! I just started to use Asana as my project management tool. I’m using a free version for now but will switch to premium as soon as I hit the seat limit. My thought process is:
I have a team of 4, so the other 11 seats will be allocated for clients. I will invite clients as limited access members, so they won’t see other clients and other projects.

My question is how can I seemingly transform limited access members to guests? Did anyone have experience with that?

I don’t want to run into a problem of my clients either accidentally becoming members and seeing all of our other projects, or losing all of our collaboration data.

Really interested in the answer, as this is quite blurry for me as well. Ping @Rebecca_McGrath and @Emily_Roman for help!

When you switch to Premium, aren’t you gonna switch to an org, tied to your domain name? If that is the case, the rule is quite simple: anyone with a an email address from your domain will be a member, anyone else will be a guest. And you pay only for members. So basically clients will be guest, they will only see what you invite them onto.

2 Likes

Hi @Anastasiia_Morozova, great question! :slight_smile:

As mentioned by @Bastien_Siebman, this depends whether you are working in a Workspace or Organization. Any users that share the email domain of the Organization will be Members (can be full Members or Limited Access Members of Teams) while all other users without the email domain will be Guests.

In Workspaces, there is no ability to add Guests (as there is no associated email domain) - only Members or Limited Access Members,

Could you let me know if you’re working in a Workspace or Organization? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @Rebecca_McGrath! Thanks for your reply. I’m working in a workspace. My team doesn’t have org emails yet, so when we upgrade, they won’t automatically transform to members I guess.

1 Like

This is correct, @Anastasiia_Morozova! The users would need org emails to be considered Members. Until then, they will be registered as Guests. :slight_smile:

Hi @Rebecca_McGrath. But what if they will never have org emails? My employees are contractors and they don’t need org emails, but I want them to be members.
Will asana be kind of useless for my needs unless all of us have org emails?
Thank you for your help. :slightly_smiling_face:

As Organization membership is determined by the email domain of the user, if you do not intend on giving org emails to employees perhaps an Organization setup is not required for your specific workflow!

Should you remain in a Workspace, all users regardless of email domain have the opportunity to be a full Member.

I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 11 days. New replies are no longer allowed.