Timeline view very cluttered and no critical path

I upgraded my team to use the timeline view. However, our project takes around 12 months and have many different departments and personnel involved making the timeline view very complicated, cluttered and difficult to use. It would be great to include a critical path.

Thank you!

1 Like

Welcome to the Forum @Ball_Kovitchindachai and thank you for taking time to share your feedback with us!

In order to help us keep this Forum as organised as possible, we recommend using one new thread for each feedback youā€™d like to submit. This helps other users to vote for a specific feature and itā€™s also easier for our Product team to collect feedback from the Forum, and for us Community Manager to follow-up on!

Iā€™ve gone ahead and slightly modify your post to reflect one of the request youā€™ve made. Feel free to make any adjustments you need to, and of course, if there is anything else I can help with, please let me know!

Have a great Monday!

Thank you, Natalia. Iā€™ve never really use a forum before. Sorry for the mistake.

Best,

Ball Kov.

Donā€™t worry at all @Ball_Kovitchindachai. We are more than happy to help! :smiley:

Please, donā€™t forget to add your vote to this feature request by clicking on the ā€œVoteā€ button at the very top of the thread!

I agree. Our team is working to incorporate Critical Paths into our projects and are currently trying to find a ā€˜work aroundā€™ as there is not a clear ā€˜Critical Pathā€™ option (like task, Milestone, etc.). Adding a Critical Path feature would be of great assistance to many projects and teams!

5 Likes

Iā€™ve voted on this feature as well. While the timeline view is helpful; for longer projects where timelines are difficult to manage the farther out they go, a critical path option would be very helpful.

Since this post was published, has there been any update or details on whether or not Asana will be incorporating something to address this?

Agree with that critical path has to be implemented and visible

1 Like

Agreed, critical path would be beneficial on many levels.

3 Likes

Agree a critical path would be nice.

3 Likes

Hi there, Iā€™m considering using Asana in the company Iā€™m working for.
The absence of Critical Path looks like a showstopper. Is it in plans?

2 Likes

Does Asana have a critical path feature?

2 Likes

It would be amazing to be able to have critical path!!

2 Likes

Hi All, a critical path would very benefitial - is there a plan for it to be implemented?

i found a workaround , which is create a customer column in the list view , and name it anything related to critical path , for example critical path activity yes or no , then go to the timeline view and select the color button and choose it to filter with all critical path equal yesā€¦ but you have to select the critical path activities manually no automated way :confused: ā€¦ once u do this u will find all activities with critical path yes will be with certain color , so you can identify it visually easy :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Is there an update on this? I havenā€™t found a Critical Path feature in Asana (June 2021)

1 Like

Bumping this request. Critical Path is ABC from project management perspective. Is there a plan to include it in Asana or should we be looking into another software to do it?

1 Like

As I compare programs, that lack of critical path identification is the main factor in my likely choosing another package. Simple math. Can it really be that hard to implement?

Hi folks, I just wanted to drop by with some good news! :tada: Critical path is coming to Timeline!

Itā€™s a busy time of year! Companies are starting to plan ahead for next year, and teams are working quickly to execute their projects before the holidays. To make it easier for project managers to deliver projects on time, weā€™re rolling out critical path on Timeline view!

Critical path will allow you to keep your project on track by visualizing the critical tasks that must be completed in order for a project to finish on time. Youā€™ll be able to:

• Start of the project: Calculate your critical path to understand which task due dates canā€™t be changed
  • During the project: Visualize your critical path and check-in with teammates contributing to essential tasks to ensure theyā€™re on track

:rocket: How to get started

To highlight the critical path, toggle the ā€œmore actionsā€ dropdown in the projectā€™s timeline view. Note that to calculate critical path correctly, the following needs to be true

• Tasks need to have a due date (start date is optional) to be considered on the critical path.
    *Tasks with only a due date have a duration of one day.
  • Task dependencies need to be set.

:clock1: When will I see this feature?

We have just begun rolling this feature out today and expect all Business and Enterprise users to have access by the end of December. Please let me know if you have any questions :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hello all, good news :star_struck: I wanted to let you know that we released fast follows for the Critical path to 100% of customers.

:new: Whatā€™s new?
With these updates, we improved the following usability.

• The timeline task limit for enabling critical path increased from 100 to 2000!
  • Now, when the critical path is enabled on Timeline: Timeline scrolls to the date of the deliverable task
    • We render a line connecting the deliverable task date to the deliverable task cell
  • The critical path toggle is disabled when there are no timeline tasks
  • The critical path toggle has a tooltip explaining more about how Critical Path works
  • The ā€œBetaā€ tag was removed from the critical path toggle
  • Bug fix for Timeline going loading when Critical Path was enabled in ā€œStart dateā€ and ā€œDue dateā€ sorts

:camera_flash: Screenshots:

Timeline scrolls to the date of the deliverable task

ezgif-2-f452b6b1b9

Toggle is disabled when there are no timeline tasks

The ā€œBetaā€ tag was removed from the critical path toggle

For more information about the Critical path ā†’ Please check Asana Guide

If there is any product feedback related to the Critical path, please create one in the feedback category :slight_smile:

2 Likes