Time Blocking in Asana with KosmoTime

Time blocking? What is that you might ask… It is a simple practice of planning out the moments of your day in advance and dedicating specific time “blocks” for certain tasks and responsibilities. While a standard to-do list tells you what you need to do, time blocking tells you when you’re going to do it (more than just when it is DUE) When you fill your calendar with the tasks and things you want to do, it’s harder for others to steal your time. :wink:

How often would you say you’ve completed 8 hours of work in an 8-hour workday? Whether it’s endless meetings, constant emails, or coworkers (virtually) popping in for a “quick chat,” your productivity rarely makes it through the day, right?

Do we all agree that if you only realize 1-2 hours of productive time, in an 8-hour workday, this presents a problem? Well, this is where the power of: Asana + :KosmoTime (developed by @Nicolas_Vandenberghe) puts you back in the driver seat and on the road to a more productive tomorrow!

**Here is how you can use time blocking to make the most of the time you have each day, 5 simple steps.

1. Evaluate where you have openings in your upcoming week. In this case, my Outlook calendar is dynamically synced to KosmoTime.

1. Select specific blocks of time where you want to dedicate yourself to perform “deep work” on tasks that you have prioritized WHILE making sure your colleagues see you are unavailable. Value YOUR time!

1. Batch Asana Tasks to dedicated Focus Blocks so this time has both purpose and definition.

1. [OPTIONAL] Use the embedded time-tracking and distraction blocker features to stay on pace and shut out distractions (with the option to block open browser tabs and set your communication stack to a “do not disturb” mode)

1. Finally, review your calendar at the close of each day so you can make adjustments for the week ahead. Once you start to get a taste for the productivity that comes with valuing your time, it will be hard to not make this a key step to your workflow! :wink:

A few potential enhancements for @Nicolas_Vandenberghe to consider:
[I invite other Asana lovers to share their experience and feedback in this thread as well (cc: @Darcy_Norman) ]

1. Within the Calendar Powers, I could see value in being able to set separate preferences for whether to enable the “hide titles” or “show as busy” options
  2. Introduce a Workspace and Teams layer to the task hierarchy. I would love to be able to see All Tasks (Workspace Layer). Also, when wanting to see just tasks within a specific Project or Team it would be nice to have Teams as a part of the hierarchy - allowing this grouping to contain their associated Projects. Otherwise, the Projects list can be rather long for power users making it difficult to find what you are looking for. I believe in a lot of ways this also would improve the navigation (assuming you could collapse and expand Teams).
  3. It would also be nice to have the option to enable/disable which workspaces, teams or projects are synced or seen in the navigation pane.
5 Likes

Thank you so much for this thorough app review @LEGGO !!!
Re: tiyr 3 suggestions:

1. I’m not sure I understand. “Busy” is what we use to hide the title. How would we hide the title otherwise?
  2. We’ve tried to minimize the number of objects and levels of hierarchy to keep things simple. We’re going to implement your 3rd suggestion below, maybe that will solde 2. also :slight_smile:
  3. This is a request we’ve received from multiple users. We’re going to think of a simple way to do that. We’ll post when this is ready on this forum, as always feedback is always appreciated.
    Thanks!

@Nicolas_Vandenberghe the option currently is to both “hide the title and show as busy”. I’m suggesting that those be separate options. Personally, I would like to still show the title but mark the event as busy.

I understand that adding a layer for Teams indeed introduces a new object, but I would say this suggestion makes things simpler for the end user. I have 1,427 projects across 26 teams! I suspect many others that have widely adopted Asana would be in a similar situation where a long list of projects with no separation is problematic.

:heart: :heart: :heart:

Thanks for your willingness to consider the feedback!

The app is really intriguing. I am really happy with the way I work but I could see how others might like it. @LEGGO you use it yourself?

@Bastien_Siebman I’ve been tracking the updates with tool and testing it out occasionally. Conceptually it is great, but unfortunately (like other instances) my org is too large and creates a latency that doesn’t offer the best UX.

1 Like

Hi I think I’m lost here on the first step. I found this forum via google wanting to work out how to block time in my outlook calendar using kosmotime-asana tasks already being linked. However, I cant seem to work out how to get kosmotime and outlook to talk to each other - your step 1.

How do i get to that point?

@Nicolas_Vandenberghe are you able to provide @anon25538596 some guidance on how to best link Outlook and Asana in the current version of the tool?

This looks great except that it constantly errors out and everything is gone… super buggy. I can’t get it to save anything. What is the deal?!