🎁 Things you did not know about CSV export and custom fields

The CSV importer/exporter is a powerful feature, but it does not always play well alongside custom fields. Here are a few things I learned.

:one: Colors are lost. There is no way to export the color of custom fields options, or re-import them.

:two: When importing, if a custom field is created, the order of the options is the one given by the file. You can’t decide « High » goes at the top.

:three: And the options available in a custom field are the ones having actual values in the file. If there were no tasks with « Medium » priority in the CSV, you won’t have it either when you import again.

:four: You won’t be able to map a custom field to a column when importing if there is the slightest discrepancy in options (e.g. your column has an option the field does not have).

:five: In some cases, yet to be understood by me, the importer won’t allow matching a column to a custom field and will default to a text field.

Anything I missed?
Thanks @LEGGO for helping with this piece.

:fr: Version Française

7 Likes

To Add:
The CSV importer does not follow the process outlined in the 2018 article.

I am not sure the Asana team updates old posts on the blog…

Copy. My observation is that the current CSV import I utilized today lacks every option mentioned in the 2018 post–as if the feature set was distilled to the minimum.

A powerful feature with some major limitations, with the most important one being that it is LIMITED to 2000 items. There was no way around this for our 2100+ item project.

As it happens, we are happy about this limitation because otherwise we wouldn’t have found https://bridge24.com/ as our alternative. It allowed us functionality that we never imagined when we were using the Asana export.

1 Like