The Better Chrome extension

I made chrome extension to work with Asana.
Objective
Build rich features as compared to scantily featured official chrome extension.

Status
In Production - available for use. Current user base of ~2000.

Link
ChromeStore link

Disclosure
I am not associated to Asana in any way.
Objective to make this post - get my work to wider audience, initiate discussion to collect ideas for future.

Highlights
Some of the highlights of my work:

1. No advertisements, no tracking.
  2. Free and Open Source.
  3. No authorization/login required - piggybacks on Asana login session.
  4. Uses Asana REST APIs for account data - uses recent fast APIs.

Features
Extends the barely useful functionality of the official chrome extension.
Short summary of features:

1. Create Task - with selectable workspace, project, assignee, tags, collaborators, deadline(due on or due at), task name, description
  2. Task Listing - see my tasks(todo list), tasks by project/tags
  3. Task Edit - can change name, description, project, assignee, tags, collaborators, task activity history, add/view comments

Planned for future
Have couple of more ideas for future

1. Translation
    translate the UI into non-English languages. For older Asana there was a chrome extension to achieve this - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/asana-translate/mmmjfjdbamonmaajclfcpicaanaonlfc (defunct now). Would like to revive this.
  2. Notifications
    live notifications about activities.

Looking forward to get a few suggestions and ideas.

9 Likes

Since picture is worth thousand words, adding some snapshots for reference:

1. Create Task
1 Like
  1. Manage Tasks View
1 Like
  1. Edit task view
1 Like

Thanks for building this! I was about to file a bunch of feature requests for the Asana chrome extension, but then discovered that yours provides all the functionality I needed (as well a bunch that I don’t need, of course). Could of FRs for you:

1. The extension forces me to choose a project for a task. Asana doesn’t require a task to be associated with a project, so could you also make this optional please?

2. It might be worth re-ordering the fields to better match one’s mental model for filling task details - the first thing is the task title itself, as well as a due date and assignee.

1 Like

> The extension forces me to choose a project for a task. Asana doesn’t require a task to be associated with a project, so could you also make this optional please?
Task not associated to a project are little difficult to find and follow, so project was made compulsory. You can make project optional from “Settings” → “Project Optional”

> It might be worth re-ordering the fields to better match one’s mental model for filling task details - the first thing is the task title itself, as well as a due date and assignee.
Will definitely give this a thought.

Great job with this, I think it’s really great. I’d love for it to incorporate push notifications for activities in Asana

Notifications is definitely on the roadmap.
We haven’t figured out subscription yet - push all change notifications or just the one that appear in Inbox. Any thoughts?

Forgive me if it’s sound rude to you. It’s just out of curiousity. Why do people want these functionalities? Adding task, viewing tasks managing tasks.

If they are using chrome already why don’t just leave one tab logged into asana and do all those actions whenever they want to?

Anyway I see the point of having notification for a chrome extension.

Normally people will need alerts for the following…

• inbox
  • due date/time (in all projects)
  • due date/time (my task)

You could have a setting and let users choose which area of notification they want to.