Template tasks to support form submissions

I just discovered a working solution for this. (it requires a manual step, but it’s pretty fast and easy)
I have a form for my project.
I have task templates for the project with subtasks built out.

Solution When a new task is created from a form submission you can:

1. add a new task using your task template
  2. open the task you created using your template
  3. click the three dots and choose “merge duplicate task” and select the task that was created automatically from the form submission

Results: your new merged task will retain all subtasks from the template task, and the description and all custom fields created by the form from the form submission task

2 Likes

I posted this a year ago. Template tasks to support form submissions - #13 by Clare_Weight

It’s still a faff to get users to do it right and wait for all STs to move over before deleting the blank task, or they fail to delete the blank task so it erroneously appears in the completed work report.

I can’t believe we’ve had templates for a year and still no link to forms.

1 Like

Flowsana allows you to apply task templates to create a project upon form submission. Was just trying to get the team all signed-off on the spend for Flowsana.

3 Likes

Would love this feature as well.

I’m adding my vote to make this an urgent update!

So helpful to add this feature

Has this been solved yet?

The same end result can be achieved using rules, if you’re on a business plan.

Can you elaborate a bit more please? How to link the template or create subtask to a new form

@Bismarck_Navarro depending on the specific use case, this method might not be appropriate as it actually doesn’t use task templates at all. But it’s worked for us wherever we thought we needed to link tempaltes and forms.

1. Create a form within the appropriate project.
  2. In the project, click on ‘customise’ > ‘rules’ > ‘add rule’
  3. Choose ‘Task added to this project - add subtasks’ (or ‘Create custom rule’ for more flexibility).
  4. In the rule builder, click on the ‘Task added to this project’ trigger, and ‘form submissions’ as the source. Then specify which form. (see the screenshot).

Once that’s done, you can add whatever actions you want, i.e. add subtasks, add collaborators, even automatically add comments if you want.

3 Likes

Thanks for your reply, I will try this option. This might be a huge time saver!!!

1 Like

It worked like a charm! Thanks!

2 Likes

Agree, this is an important feature that’s missing.

We need a workflow step that allows you to create a new task from a task template. We can do that within a project when we go to “Add New>>Task Templates>>(available templates to select)” but when we want Asana to create a new task from a specific template when all the subtasks and the parent task have been marked Complete, the option to do that is not there. It only gives us the option to Create a new (generic) Task.

NOTE: Using a recurring task option does not provide a fresh list of Subtask due dates and statuses (i.e., Not Completed), with previous assignees.

@roci,

I’ve merged your post into an existing thread where you can click the title to scroll to the top and vote by clicking the purple Vote button.

In the meantime, you can replicate the functionality of a task template within the Create a task action by clicking View all fields which will address your needs in an alternate way until/if Asana offers the ability to use task templates in rules.

Thanks,

Larry

1 Like

@Marie We have created a task template and are using it in a workflow that populates the subtask assignments. Then when the due date is entered, it populates the due dates of the subtasks using relative dates based on that. It’s a better workaround for us than using a form, maybe the developers can use this as an example to a final, elegant solution.

1 Like

Want to build on this request with my use case, especially with the recent introduction of bundles. I have an ongoing process project (i.e., a backlog/queue/funnel) and want to trigger the creation of subtasks (and possibly tasks, I suppose) from templates upon certain actions.

My current workaround is as @lpb described above (rule action: Create Task or Create Subtasks), but I’m trying to standardize this process across a couple process projects using bundles, so it’s not too scalable to use this instead of creating task (and subtask? fingers crossed) templates in bundles and having a rule action to use those.

1 Like

Any updates on this?