Task Template in Pre-Existing Tasks

Asana doesn’t share its roadmap, we don’t know exactly.

Would be a great feature addition if you could apply a task template in a project to an already created task. Notion has this feature for tasks that have already been created - you just delete all the content in the body of the database item and it allows you to apply a template to that task. To my knowledge, this isn’t possible in Asana. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

I know Asana has a way to merge duplicate tasks together (for instance, if someone created a task and someone else created a task with the template, you can merge those two together into one), but it’s not quite the same.

Hello @Paul_Matsushima, one of the best workarounds at the moment is indeed the merging of tasks. Meaning to create a new task from the template and merge it into the existing one.

Now we also have an existing feedback request thread about exactly what you are asking for so I have merged your post. Since you haven‘t voted here yet please don‘t forget to do so :slight_smile:

1 Like

Workaround for applying sub-tasks in bulk (aka template) to existing tasks…

1. Go to your List and create a special “Tag”
  2. Go to Workflow and create a new Rule that says "WHEN tag is changed - > Check if Tag Contains [Special Tag Name] → DO THIS create subtasks → add the subtasks you have in the template
  3. Return to List and add add the “Tag” to the tasks you want the sub-tasks applied.
  4. Rule will run and sub-tasks will be added.
2 Likes

Welcome, @Tyler_M, and I agree that’s a great workaround and the one I use.

But a clarification: Instead of “tag” I think you mean a single select custom field. (There’s a tag feature in Asana but rules don’t understand it, but you can achieve this with a single select custom field.)

Thanks,

Larry

Good catch! That is correct - looks like I made this field and just named it “tag” as well. Thanks!

1 Like

Great; thanks. I usually name such a field “Do” or “Action” and each value (like “Add such and such subtasks”) can be used to trigger a different rule action.

Plus one for this request. We have tons of existing tasks, and would like a one-click solution to update their subtask templates. An “apply template” option would remove all existing subtasks from the task and add the ones from the template we have set up.

2 Likes

This workaround was perfect!
I think it even works better than mass applying to tasks!

1 Like