task collaborators and private projects - clarifications

I have an employee expense reimbursement private project. The goal was for everyone to only see their own submissions and be able to have a comment back and forth with our accountant (who see’s all). . Submissions are exclusively through a form. Submitters are automatic collaborators. They are not members of the project (they are members of the team that owns the project). Collaboratirs though do have commenter rights on the tasks so they can theoretically comment on their own expenses. (editor access is acceptable if requires, but for now, commenter).

Question - how do they access the project since they are not individually members (just as collabs only). The project is private so doesnt show up on the left column or through search.

I would like them to see the project but upon accessing only see the tasks they submitted.

BTW I’ve searched through here and the solutions don’t seem to address my specific question unless I missed it.

Hi Geoffrey,

This isn’t possible to my knowledge. If they have access to the task, they can see the task. When they can see the project, they are able to see the rest of the tasks.

What is the why behind your request?

@Geoffrey_Brandt,

I’m afraid you won’t be able to let them see the project because then they could see all the tasks in it which is what you don’t want.

You could explore other approaches. Maybe if you tested setting a tag or custom field on all of these tasks, each person could have a saved (starred) custom search report to find all such tasks where they are the collaborator.

Thanks,

Larry

Its an expense reimbursement table. I don’t need the janitor seeing the president’s 1st class airfare receipts…

Doing my best to deploy asana as a universal work mgmt platform. Custom Privacy levels is a constant need and, while much better than previous years, there are still a few rough spots.

I can’t be the first person to want users to only see “their” tasks in a project and not anyone else’s.

Thx. Actually i was going to give them a saved and starred advanced search. But they can’t add the private table. Of course if they all can see the table (which is the case for my very similar purchase request table, it all works fine.

First, I somehow missed JR’s reply when I wrote mine.

Re the search, by “table” do you mean “project?” I was not suggesting that you use the project in the search. I haven’t tested it but a tag would work I’m quite sure, and likely an org-wide custom field too. The parameters would be 1) Collaborator is and 2) tag (or custom field) is #expense_reimbursement.

I get that you only want people to be able to see their tasks. But from my perspective, that problem is solved in your current way of woking.

What I was curious about is the reason for wanting a project. This to me is the “how”, not the “why”.

I’m assuming your purpose to provide some way of people to get an overview of all their reimbursement items. For that, you don’t need to give access to the project, and the most logical solution with current functionality would be to utilise Search like @lpb suggested.

1. Add a custom field to the project (and the custom field libary), for instance Type of Item and set :moneybag: Expense reimbursement as an option.
  2. Add a rule to the project that sets this field to :moneybag: Expense reimbursement for each new item added
  3. Select all existing items and set the field to :moneybag: Expense reimbursement
  4. Do a search like so:

Add it to favourites by hitting the :star: next to Search results

You can share a link to these results here:

This link will work for everyone, and it will provide a list of everything marked :moneybag: Expense reimbursement that they have access to.

They can in turn save it to favourites.

Make it fancy and add a rule that explains this process with the link to the search results in the task description of all reimbursements.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll give it a go. I appreciate the detailed example.

1 Like

No problem.

B.t.w. Task template is probably easier way to solve this. But then again a rule will force this for all tasks.

Good luck!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.