Task Auto-Promotion issue

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing:
using the web-app, Task Auto-Promotion to sections like ‘Today’ is not working, all my tasks with due dates are stuck in Recently-Assigned.

Steps to reproduce:

Browser version:
Chrome on Mac

Upload screenshots below:

Welcome to the Forum @Arjen_De_Jong and apologies for the trouble here.

I can confirm this is not a bug but rather the current behaviour. Let me give you some context here.

By default, tasks that are first assigned to you are placed in the Recently assigned section. From there, you have the option to use the Today, Upcoming and Later Sections to prioritize your tasks.

For example, you can:

• Place tasks you’re working on today in the Today section.
  • Place tasks you’re working on this week in the Upcoming section
  • Place tasks you’re working on next week or later in the Later section

The ability to Mark tasks as Today, Upcoming, or Later is for your personal prioritization, and is only relevant in the My Tasks list. This means that these sections are not inherently connected to due dates, so unless you prioritize your tasks between these sections, they will by default remain in the Recently Assigned Section.

You can learn more about My Tasks in this Guide Article: https://asana.com/guide/help/fundamentals/my-tasks#gl-priority

I hope this helps clarifying but please let me know if you need further assistance! Have a nice day Arjen!

hi, thank you.
Just to clarify, this default behavior was different in the past right? I recall that these sections did automatically get populated. Or am i mistaken and was this elsewhere? If it was changed, around when did this happen?

Finally, is there any setup to do automate a population based on due times?

thank you

Hi @Arjen_De_Jong

I can confirm we haven’t made any recent changes regarding this. But what you are saying is correct. Tasks with due dates that have been placed either in the Upcoming or the Later section will automatically promote through as they approach their due date.

If the task is marked as Upcoming, it will automatically move to the Today section at midnight on the day of the task’s due date.

If the task is marked as Later, it will automatically move to the Upcoming section at midnight seven days before the task’s due date.

More information on the following Guide article: How to Get Started With Asana My Tasks | Product Guide • Asana Product Guide

I hope it helps Arjen!

Is there a place we can vote to add the ability to have tasks immediately put in the correct section of “My Tasks” instead of in “recently assigned to me”?

1 Like