Task archive - archive completed

hey all, is there anywhere Archive Completed button? Or I would need to go each by each to archive all completed tasks?

1 Like

Hi Archive is at project level not Task level.

Jason.

Hi @Ewa and welcome to the Forum :wave:t3:

@Jason_Woods is right there, you can archive projects, not tasks. Unfortunately, it is not possible to archive multiple projects at once, you’ll need to archive them one per one.

Tasks can’t be archived, but they can be marked completed; if you need to mark multiple ones completed at once, simply use the multiselect function and mark all your tasks completed in one click!

Hope this helps, please let us know if you have any follow-up questions!

Hi there,

There is actually a work around for this if you like. You can create a project for the sole purpose of collecting tasks that you would like to archive. Rather than marking complete, you can move the task from that project to the project that you have archived. You would have to use a custom field for marking complete and use the custom field if you wanted to track completions.

I hope this helps,
Katie

3 Likes

Need to archive tasks

6 Likes

I agree - when a project is archived, it should automatically archive the task and not show up in the users “My tasks” section. Or at least be moved to a tab called Archived Tasks.

2 Likes

It seems to me that one reason to have a means to archive task in an agile (board) project is that in this type of project the completed ask list could become unmanageable over time. Unless there is another means to do this it seems arching those wold help eliminate the clutter of a long chain of completed tasks. Thoughts?

4 Likes

agreed. I manage a Finance department and we house all invoices and payments in a project with sections for pending approval, to be processed, completed - as we’ve been using this for about a year now, the completed section came to have MANY tasks - would be nice to have an option to archive tasks completed more than X days/months ago. As a work around we have now created a section called Archive and are moving old completed tasks there.

3 Likes

Hi @Katie_Reynolds sorry I’m new to asana, could you do me a step by step for moving tasks in to a Archive Project please.

Apologies all our team uploaded amusing profile pictures, I just realised you can also see mine :grinning:

Hi I realize this is a crazy old thread. This is how I’ve been dealing with finished work. I move all of the completed tasks to an “Archive” project. But I have to move each task individually. I would be super if I could select multiple and then add them all to the Archive project.

Welcome, @anon44711264,

You certainly can multi-select (Ways to save time in Asana | Product guide • Asana Product Guide) up to 50 tasks at once and move to the archive project, but I wouldn’t recommend this general approach because the project and section a task is in is considered by most of us to be meaningful historical metadata that you’d use.

Are you generally showing only incomplete tasks in projects and My Tasks or are you showing by incomplete and completed tasks? Most of us only show incomplete tasks, and that is why we don’t recommend or go to the extra trouble of task archiving. I don’t know of anyone who does this, actually.

Hope that helps,

Larry

Thanks! Yes!

1 Like