Tags missing from field

Hello,

I created a couple of tags, such as “New task”, “Assigned” and “Completed”. But when I go to a task and want to add, say Assigned tag, it is not showing up. It is working fine if I want to add New task or completed. When I go to iDO Tools - Improve Asana with our tools and automations I can see the tag (Assigned) exists with 0 tasks and with the yellow color I gave it, but it just does not show up in the task. I have tried to do this on my Mac App, as well as browser.

Any help?

I realized that I ended up making 2 Completed tags in the past, just because perhaps the first one did not show up either and I created a new completed tag. Please see screenshot.

Hi,

I am the creator of the tool you mentioned.

I believe creating a tag in the past is not enough to have it pop up inside Asana, there has to be remaining tasks with the tag. Could that be the issue?

Regarding the Completed tag, looks like you indeed created a duplicate.

2 Likes

Thank you for the response.
As you can see from screenshot, there are no tasks associated with Assigned tag, and it was created just today. I had the same issue with completed tag also, and I ended up duplicating it. And when Assigned also did not show up, I realized something is not working.

1 Like

Sometimes when typing an existing tag name, it takes time to show it, and while you wait it does show you a fake tag as a suggestion. If you pick it that creates a duplicate. My trick to clean up is to look for one tag, apply a color to it; then it is easier to differentiate it with the existing one… Does that help?

1 Like

Hi @anon74814831

Can you try this… With one Task add all the Tags to that Task either create them if they don’t exist or add them if they do. Once that is completed run the above tool and see what you get.

Leaving that Task with all the Tag’s associated start add Test Tasks with just one associated Tag and see what happens.

I think the problem is that if you create a Tag and don’t have it associated with a Task it will be removed from Asana.

Regards

Jason.

It did the trick for me, thanks Bastien! However, is this condition explained or mentioned somewhere?

Not sure, maybe go through the Asana Guide :man_shrugging:

Hello dear Asana community,

I created a tag called “Side tasks” to send tasks automatically to a “Maybe” section.

This “Side tasks” disappeared, so I tried to create it anew. But it disappeared again and can’t be assigned in Asana has it’s not available in the Tags field. I can find the two created “Side tasks” tags with “Tag explorer” iDO Tools - Improve Asana with our tools and automations .

The problem probably comes because I use two separated words for my tag. How can I delete them as they can’t be found in Asana?

Your help will be greatly appreciated. Have a great day!

It seems that there’s a problem with tags. I tried to add a “Maybe” tag and assigned it to a task. I unassigned it from this task, and now the “Maybe” tag is nowhere to be found in Asana (but still can be found in “Tag explorer”)

The recommended solution is to keep one task with every tag you want to continue to use.

I’ve merged your post into an existing thread where you can read more posts related to this same issue and more about the workaround above.

Thanks,

Larry

1 Like

Thank you very much @lpb . I came to this conclusion by creating other tags.

It seems that in Asana desktop, when a tag is not assigned to any note, it “disappears”. But I can somehow access it on the Android app.

I found a solution to delete or assign those “ghost tags”.

First, I went to https://app.asana.com/api/1.0/workspaces to get my workspace id

Then when to https://app.asana.com/api/1.0/workspaces/{workspace_gid}/tags to get all the tags’ ids

Finally, I used https://app.asana.com/api/1.0/tags/{tag_gid} to go to the desired tag’s page (and then delete it or assign it anew in Asana).

I hope this can help. Asana is such a wonderful tool :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like