Systematized Approval Workflow

It seems the approval workflow is recommended to be set up by using custom fields.

Is there any way to automatically assign a task to the “approver” once the custom field is updated?
For example, if I change my custom field on a task from “Work in Progress” to “Ready for Review” can the task automatically then be assigned to my designated approver?

From what I understand assigning the task to the approver is a manual step and not something that triggers automatically when the custom field is updated. This makes the user responsible for assigning the task to the approver rather than the system automatically doing it.

Yes this kind of behavior cannot be automated in Asana. Maybe have a look at Zapier, but not sure they have a trigger for custom field change…

Bastien
Asana Certified Pro, consultant, author and developer

1 Like

I understand it is not a current functionality however would be great if Asana can put it on the road map.

As a tool used to manage projects and tasks - I can’t be the only one looking for an automated approval workflow. (As most projects/tasks have some sort of approval process)

I concur on automated approval feature without having to create separate approve tasks. Custom fields for approval don’t send a notification to the approver that they need to approve it.

It’s late to answer this, like one year ago. But you could use reports for filtering people asigned and custom fields. For instance:

• Tasks assigned to me and “Approval task” is “Ready for Review”

Don’t forget Asana tries to make the platform generic for every business.

Very nice addition, it is sometimes hard for users to understand why Asana won’t go their way…

Hi @Fadi_Saman, @Lisa_Accardi, @Manzur :wave:

I’m more than happy to announce that it is now possible to create approval tasks in Asana :slight_smile: In case you have missed the announcement, you can learn more about it here: A new type of task is available in Asana. Meet Approvals!

I’m closing this thread now but if you have any follow-up questions or feedback to share please let us know here or in the #productfeedback category !

We hope you enjoy it! Have a great Wednesday! :slight_smile: