Switching from Boards to List View (and vice versa)

Thanks for jumping in @Rachel_Nething and @Phil_Seeman! Merging this post with the main existing thread to avoid duplicates; hope thatā€™s ok! Please let me know if there is anything I can help with!

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure why this doesnā€™t exist but Iā€™d like to convert Lists to Boards, or change templates, or switch back.

Hi @Patrick8 there is lots of commentary about this have a look at this thread.
Enable Switch Project View (List / Board) to be changed on the fly
Based on some updates in progress with the API and sections, I think the day that you will be able to switch between lists and boards will be arriving soonā€¦

Jason.

6 Likes

Thanks for jumping in @Jason_Woods! Merging this thread with Switching from Boards to List View (and vice versa) - #162 by Marie to avoid duplicates and continue gathering feedback on the existing thread!

3 Likes

For what its worth. Much support and quite some time laterā€¦ Our organisation has been wanting, hoping and praying for this feature for quite some time.
It couldnā€™t come soon enough :pray:

Letā€™s hope that this will be done by March, to celebrate the 2-year wait :slight_smile:

This would be great. It was mentioned in another reply years ago but Wrike and other sites can change the view on the fly and can also let you choose the default view you want to view it in. Just having the flexibility and not having to decide ā€œDo I want a list or board?ā€ Then realizing later down the road a board would of been betterā€¦

Hi @Lavar_Lawrence, weā€™re currently working on implementing the option to switch between Board and List (see context in "Tab+N" our new shortcut to create Sections - #39 by Matt_Bramlage); Iā€™m hoping to have some good news soon! :slight_smile:

Sorry, but I am totally confusedā€¦ all I want to do is look at my project that is set up as a Board in the format of a List, and visa versaā€¦ I have no idea what a tab+N will do for me and where I even use that to toggle between the Board and List formats for my project. Is there anything more descriptive for non-coding folks?

+1 from me. Freedcamp can do this and I am thinking of switching because of that alone

Iā€™m all for the functionality of being able to switch back and forth from board to list view, but in doing so, this took away the ability to switch between a task and a section header. Is there any way to accomplish both? It was really convenient to be able to switch tasks into headers and visa versaā€¦ Even if you donā€™t bring back the colon, perhaps the Tab N could be the same keyboard shortcut, but just able to toggle between task and section header?

Any updates on this from Asana team?

I want to add my request for this to happen. We have members that prefer list view and members that prefer board view so weā€™d like to be able to switch between them within the same project.

1 Like

To clear up the confusionā€¦

You donā€™t use Tab+N to switch between list and board. Itā€™s not possible to switch between them yet but itā€™s coming for sure.

What @Marie was referring to was that currently in Asana, sections in lists and sections in boards are two completely different objects behind the scenes. This is whatā€™s preventing Asana from implementing the ability to switch a project between list and board views.

In order to provide the ability to switch views - which they are definitely doing because they know itā€™s important - they have to convert all list-project sections into board-project sections (thatā€™s a bit of an oversimplification but good enough for this discussion). That is a massive undertaking - remember there are literally millions of Asana users - and quite an involved process under the hood and otherwise.

The Tab+N that Marie was referring to was the fact that before they could even provide the capability to turn list-sections into board-sections, they had to create a standardized way to create sections, and they chose Tab+N.

Rest assured that this whole process of transitioning sections is definitely in motion. Youā€™ll hear more from Asana as the time comes when you can actually convert your accountā€™s list-sections into board-sections; again thatā€™s the first step. Once all list-sections are converted, then Asana will be able to add the ability to switch a project back and forth between list and boards views.

For those who want more gory technical details, you can see this thread:

4 Likes

I would like to be able to change the view of my projects from List view to Board view. Currently I can create either List View or Board View projects. Is it possibly to add the functionality to change the view back and forth? Thank you for your consideration.

Hi,
A post is already opened on that topic, you can vote here:

@Marie I think you can merge the 2 topics.

1 Like

Thanks @Julien_RENAUD,

Iā€™ve gone ahead and merged this thread with the existing one!

Thank you

1 Like

I was able to switch by exporting the board to a csv file, setting up a new project list by importing the file. It worked great! Then all I had to do was archive (or you can delete) the old project.

2 Likes