Switching between companies without opening new windows

I have spent hours now trying to find a chrome extension as a “workaround” fix with no luck. Has anyone else found a shortcut that would “fix” this problem?

SO basically, there is no intention of listening to users and letting us work in one window again?

2 Likes

Please stop this. I cosntantly switch between 5 workspaces, each time opening a new tab! It´s making asana unusable…
By the way a shortcut for changing workspaces would be a great improvement.

1 Like

Is this situation perhaps resolvable through the creation of a Desktop App? I see a feature request here for Windows which we could vote for: Windows 10 app in the Windows Store. I haven’t searched for other platforms (Mac, Linux, etc).

I see the following workflow.

1. Open the Desktop App and use it for most of your day-to-day work, switching between workspaces as required, as you would on your phone or tablet (where apps already exist).

2. If you need to do something that’s not available in the app, open Asana in your browser. If you need to work in multiple workspaces, have a separate tab for each workspace, maybe even pinning them so that they are easy to find.

The Desktop App would be essential for this to work and hopefully the browser would only be needed rarely.

I’m waiting to be approved by Google…image

4 Likes

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/asana-workspaces-switcher/naeiajcdddbcicgbkpmpabghfaniejna?hl=it

Use the options button to enter your Personal Access Token.

4 Likes

Bravo @Gianni_Liburdi! I just installed it and it works perfectly!

The only question/suggestion I have is: is there a way you could have it close the popup window once a workspace is selected? If so, that would be awesome; if not, it’s still incredibly valuable.

It’s my first extension and it’s just a proof on concept.
I’d like to add some features like cache, close popup and total tasks. :wink:

2 Likes

Gotcha. I’ll look forward to more features! But again, in the meantime, great job.

1 Like

I ended up with having 3 chromium shortcuts each starting different workspace in app mode (chromium-browser --app=Log in - Asana…)
asanas

It took some try and error to get icons working so that chromimum minimizes to the right place and shows right icon, so for linux users, this is .desktop file (icon used is ~./local/share/icons/app.asana.com-some-project.png’)

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Exec=sh -c “chromium-browser --app=Log in - Asana
Icon=app.asana.com-some-project
Name=Asana [some project]
StartupWMClass=app.asana.com__0_home_1-some-workspace-id-here-1_list
StartupNotify=true

Anyone have any solution for getting Asana to work in the Shift app again??

I am going to add my voice to this thread. This new behavior is very problematic and incredibly inefficient time-wise. I am on macOS and use Safari.

If there is some new feature pending that depends upon opening new tabs, then Asana should provide some information as to the material value that this new feature will add and what the timeframe for implementation is. Even if so, then offer some kind of user setting or preference to disable this behavior.

Otherwise, this is just a significant PITA and not acceptable behavior.

2 Likes

I agree, this makes Asana totally unusable in Shift and a pain the butt to use in regular Chrome. Please Asana, listen to the comments and revert this feature back.

What feature could possibly require having tons of tabs open? I’d really like to know the reason why we can no longer use Asana properly. Is there a reason for the madness?

With the update, the only tasks I can access through the Shift app are my “personal tasks”, my least used lists. It’s just really annoying cause it was so streamlined before and now its cluttered and cumbersome to use.

I can’t wait to see the future feature that will make use of opening infinite tabs. https://images.app.goo.gl/aqpct69ad9Y7J6Pk8

2 Likes

Hi! this is great.
Guys from @Asana_Admin take a look at this!!! It´s great.

This is what it’s like using Asana now. Seems like this has only effected us POWER USERS, average users who don’t really care too much about Asana or use it to its full potential didn’t even notice.

2 Likes

Yep, it also broke my Chrome extension for picking random tasks: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/pick-a-random-asana-task
Now I will have to find time to go update that too :frowning:

How is this still unanswered nearly two months later?? I’m guessing this a precursor to some sort of tabbed desktop app or something… but where is it?

2 Likes