Subtasks in timeline

Adding the ability to view subtask in the timeline will prompt me to upgrade. Till then the timeline feature for me is just another calendar view. Looking forward to the upgrade so I can upgrade too.

5 Likes

Agree. Timeline is useless to me without subtasks. It doesn’t line up with Agile PM, where top-level tasks make the most sense as stories, and sub-tasks make sense as action steps.

8 Likes

Any reply from the Asana team on this yet?
I’m also currently trailing Asana and, even though I love Asana so far, without this feature it’s pretty useless for my purposes.

3 Likes

Hi @Philipp_Oppolzer! Subtasks do not automatically inherit from their parent task project; so in order for your subtasks to appear on your Timeline, you need to manually associate your subtasks to their project by following these steps: How to Create and Use Custom Fields in Asana | Product Guide • Asana Product Guide. Once this is done, you will your subtasks on the project Timeline. Hope this helps; let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Hey @Marie,
Thanks for the quick response.
This solution was mentioned previously. However, it unnecessarily clutters the list few of the project. The ideal way of dealing with this would be to have, as mentioned by others, an option to expand/collapse subtasks in the time-line few.

12 Likes

Got it @Philipp_Oppolzer! In this case, I’d recommend adding your vote to this thread from the #productfeedback category :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Marie,

I can´t figure out how I can add my vote to this thread. Please advise.

Hi @Roberto1! Simply click on this link to access the #productfeedback thread: Timeline - Schedule Subtasks and click on the blue “Vote” button as seen in the screenshot below:

All the best,

4 Likes

I am not sure this will work for everyone… but I have added my subtasks to the project, assigned them to a custom field (be function/team), added a due date. All of this so they will show up in the timeline view.

Then I have created a section at the bottom of the project with the heading “Subtasks,” below a section, “Don’t look below this” where I have put all of the subtasks. This creates a nice list view, but more importantly creates a specific Timeline view.

4 Likes

I am actually kind of feeling proud of myself:).

3 Likes

I agree that being able to see the subtasks mapped out in the timeline without requiring the subtasks to be duplicated on the board or list would be ideal. That visual representation of the full timeline is very much desirable.

2 Likes

This needs to happen. We have main projects with different types of tasks in each one and sub tasks to go with each type of task. We assign the subtasks out to multiple individuals. It would be ideal to have an “at a glance” view of the subtasks on the timeline view with their start and end dates and person(s) assigned.

2 Likes

+1 for this. Would love to stop using and paying for Instagantt

How is this not a thing yet?

2 Likes

+1 Yes, this is crucial for making the timeline feature actually useful.

1 Like

Try instagrantt.com. It is a third party app that ties into Asana. Very nice!

1 Like

This is not a solution, this make the whole idea of SubTasks usless -
you have subtask not to clutter your main view - a simple show/dont show subtasks in timeline would be much better…
this way I should have never created it as a subtask, if im going to add it to the project - first off it will clutter my overview, 2. its 3x the work compared to just having created it as a task in the first place…

please fix this

8 Likes

PLEASE FIX THIS FEATURE!

3 Likes

+1 just tried the workaround suggested at the beginning of the thread. unfortunately it makes the whole project really messy with all these new tasks you don’t need just to get them to show in the timeline.

please add subtasks to timeline! it’s a pretty fundamental PM need :slight_smile:

(and thank you to the asana team for all your work :heart:!)

3 Likes

+1 Want to see all sub tasks in the timeline!

2 Likes