Sub Goal Progress Update - Main Goal Progress

Hi All,

I’m trying to figure out if it’s possible to update the mail goal progress automatically once I update the sub-goals progress?
I have 1 goal of raising a fund of 1K
4 Subgoals of total 1K; whenever I update sub-goals let’s say with 0.2K; the main goals still needs to be updated manually although all subgoals are linked to parent goal

Welcome to the Asana Community Forum @Ahmed_ElWakeel! As it stands, it’s currently not possible to automatically update the main Goal when updating subgoals. Our team will work in some iterations for Goals and we will let you know if this feature is implemented in the future. Thanks for sharing your feedback with us!

4 Likes

Really want to see this feature as well – particularly for revenue goals where we’ve set an overall annual goal, but have revenue sub-goals from different parts of the business.

2 Likes

I’d love to be able to track progress on parent goals, based on the progress of the sub-goals. For example, if a goal had 4 sub-goals, 3 of which are completed, the parent goal would show 75% complete. Is there a way to achieve that, or is goal progress purely manual?

1 Like

Hi @Steve_Errey, welcome to the Asana Community Forum :wave:t2:

Currently, updating a parent Goals progress tab must be done manually. We do have an existing thread for this feature request in the Forum, so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with this one to consolidate feedback! :slight_smile:

I’ll keep you posted on this thread if I have any updates from the Product team! :+1:t2:

Bring on this feature!!! this is the piece that’s missing, cant believe its not there, get this sorted and im in!!

+1 for this feature as well! All of our Objectives have KRs that people are tracking progress on, but no one goes back to update the overall objective so I have to periodically do this. If sub goals / KRs are present, it’d be great to make the Goal / objective progress the average of the sub goals / key results.

1 Like

The more sub-goals you have the harder it is to make sure the parent goal is 100% correct.
I use it for different selling campaigns for different markets, I can have sub-goals in sub-goals in sub-goals as well as different users updating.
To minimize clicks and external calculation sheets it would be fantastic if you could let the higher ranked goal aggregate the goals below.

2 Likes

Hi Emily,

This feature was showcased in one of your recent events. This is such a critical item and it’s quite strange that Asana would promise something that isn’t available. Any update on getting this released?

1 Like

Any news on where this is at?
Seems like there has been talk of it for a long time. Without it, the whole goals feature doesn’t really work for us.
Desperately need the sub-goals to directly feed into the parent goal so that as sub-goals are completed they contribute to the percentage completion of the parent goal.
Seems like a no-brainer to me.

+1 We are strongly numbers and KPI driven company (3000+ employees) agregating a lot of sub-goals to the whole company projects or KPI and this function is crucial for us. Without hard-link connection between sub-goals and main goals it’s almost impossible to plan, control and evaluate our goals. I can imagine that current state of Asana Goals can work for very small teams or companies, but there’s often not such a complex view of a goals.

2 Likes

Keep manual updates as an option! We’ve started to use sub and sub-sub goals quite intensively and to be honest, most of the time a simple formula, even with weights would be inappropriate. It’s important that manual updating and status updates remains an option.

1 Like

Adding another vote for this. We need to be able to automatically update parent goals based on child goals’ progress. It’s not sustainable to manually calculate a growing library of parent goals’ progress

1 Like

Definitely interested in this feature as well. Curious to know if there will be a way for the goals to automatically be updated based on which projects/supporting work is linked to each goal.

Would love an update from Asana on this feature! Thank you so much!

1 Like
  • one to offer this flexibility while still being able to preserve how it functions today. Great to give the user an option if they want to have subgoals roll up or not.

Would also be nice to remove the parent goal tracker entirely and just be dependent on looking at sub-goals.

Checking on this functionality as well. Seems like it would make sense and it would be incredibly useful.

1 Like

+1 to this feature - please!

MUST HAVE - Can’t say it loud enough, not having this makes the whole features falling a bit flat to me in term of value unfortunately. Is there any official thread on this and roadmap showing if/when this would be actually developed and released? Thanks

1 Like

Hi everyone. :wave:t4:

We’ve heard you loud and clear, and I’m excited to announce you can now reduce work about work by connecting goal progress directly to sub-goals or projects!

Going forward, you will be able to select if you would like to update the goal progress automatically or manually in the Goal settings. If you select the automatic update method, you can choose between sub-goals or projects as the progress source:

• When you select sub-goals, the goal is updated based on sub-goal(s) progress.
  • When you select projects, the goal is updated based on the number of tasks or milestones marked
    complete in your projects.

When a goal is automatically updated, its progress is an average (if the metric is a %) or sum (if the metric is a # or currency) of the sub-goals or projects.

Thank you all for taking the time to share your feedback with us, we’re excited to release this new update, and hope it will help you communicate more fluidly with your teams!

I’m going to close this thread as most requests listed here have been addressed, but if you’d like to share some feedback or ask any questions, make sure to create a new thread in the #product-feedback or #tips categories!

Happy Tuesday to you all!

1 Like