Standardize and scale processes across teams — with workflow bundles

Hi Asana Community :raising_hand_man:

I’m Arthur from the Forum Leader team, and I’m excited to share that bundles will begin rolling out to Enterprise customers starting today :tada:

We know that keeping processes consistent and scalable across many different teams can be challenging. This is where bundles can certainly benefit your operations!

Bundles will enable you to quickly apply a combination of rules, fields, and task templates across your projects - in only a few clicks. This will allow you to drive consistency in processes, outcomes, as well as reporting. With bundles, you’ll also be able to push out updates to multiple projects that are in-flight, at once. Being consistent and flexible in processes is now fast, easy, and delightful.

And if you’d like to deep dive into bundles with me, check out the video below:

You can also refer to this brand new guide article and this YouTube video for more info.

We look forward to hearing about your favorite tips for using bundles, or examples of processes where bundles can help you quickly standardize to save time.

Please note this rollout is gradual, so you may not see this update in your account today. We plan to make Bundles to all Enterprise customers by the end of May.

9 Likes

Bundles for the win! Thanks Arthur for sharing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Love this feature!

2 Likes

Great presentation of this awesome new feature!

2 Likes

Will this ever be available to non enterprise customers>

7 Likes

We’re also a little confused about recent features (universal workload) being Enterprise only. The rest of the Enterprise feature set is very clearly aimed at very large organizations: special security, data control, additional layers of management, special IT backend tools for customization.

Bundles and Universal Workload are both solutions to longstanding issues with Asana. For our very small team of 10, we set up a project per client (about 200 per year). If we come up with a new task process or rule, we have to go in and manually update all 200 projects. Bundles finally solves that problem.

It’d seem to me that most of your users would benefit from things like Bundles, or the ability to see their team’s real workload with Universal Workload. Does Asana think only very large Enterprises would benefit from those features?

17 Likes

We make use of Asana heavily and we’re a small team, but we happily pay for the platform and while larger teams require enterprise support, these features should be core and at least available to premium plans.

9 Likes

Agreed, would be great to have for premium or business plans. I can’t think of any other way of automatically adding rules to new projects.

3 Likes

They never said everything released for Enterprise is useless to others, this is simply a way to provide more value to the Enterprise tier.

2 Likes

Hello everyone, and thanks for the feedback shared so far.

I understand some of you wished to see Bundles included in our Business plan. While this is not something we’re considering right now, we plan to continue adding value to all our plans – paid and free. Recently, we launched native time tracking, Variable in Rules and Portfolio dashboarrds with our Business plan – as well as Multi-sort, multi-filter and reverse sort on List & Board views or Multi-filter for the calendar view to all Asana customers (including folks using the free version).

We’ve more exciting updates coming very soon, including Formulas :shushing_face: for Business users (if you don’t want to miss them, make sure to follow our news category). And while we plan to continue developing Enterprise-exclusive features to respond to specific needs and expectations from Enterprise customers, we also plan to continue to support other Asana users!

4 Likes

Thanks, Marie! We so appreciate all the big changes and improvements that Asana has created over just the last year. Asana is really growing into a very powerful tool. I’m not sure how many others feel this way, but we’d quite happily pay more for a “Business Premium” plan or similar. No doubt all that dev time for Bundles and Universal Workload needs to be paid for.

Previously Enterprise was clearly targeted at Enterprises. Big security and ID and customization features that large companies need. Last week we reached out to Asana Sales to see we could do an Enterprise plan for a tiny team of 10, but we haven’t heard back – we’re probably too small for Enterprise. But if there are major features like Bundles and Workload that would really benefit the team, happy to pay for them…

1 Like

You are not too small, but maybe you fly under the radar of Account Executives there. As a partner we’d love to help :slight_smile: can you email me at bastien@ido-clarity.com?

I so agree with you Tanner and lilrkt - and Bastien, please reread the arguments, they really make sense.

If you want to provide value to Enterprise tiers you shouldn’t do this with features that should be an integral part of your product. Just like Tanner I had to update manually over 100 projects, in my case to add the Asana Actual Time feature (wow released in 2023 - that was fast!) . It’s baffling really. Perhaps Asana doesn’t know their customers that well? I don’t need a custom enterprise solution. I need task management that saves time for my organisation and frankly updating 100+ projects with a new feature isn’t very satisfying.

4 Likes

Hi, is there a maximum number of items you can add to one bundle? E.g. number of different rules/ custom fields etc within the one bundle.

Hi @anon31636872 :raised_hand:

I’ve been in touch with the Product Manager of Bundles and this is what I’ve learned about limits :

Limits on bundles per project: 5

And Limits of workflow features (rules, fields, etc): follows the limit per project
I will quote him directly:

• For example, there is a maximum of 50 rules allowed per project right now.

• The bundle will respect the project’s limit.

• Here are a few scenarios of what it could look like:

1. Scenario 1: A project has 40 rules and a bundle has 10 rules. This bundle would be able to be successfully added to the project

2. Scenario 2: A project has 40 rules and a bundle has 15 rules. This bundle, if added, would put the project over its 50 rule limit. The bundle will display an error that advises the user to remove rules before adding the bundle.

3. The 5 rules (to meet the 50 limit) can be removed from EITHER the project itself or the bundle

4. As long as the total of bundles + projects is < than the limit, then the bundle can be added

As a reference, this great article about all limits from @Richard_Sather 🔢 List of technical and data limitations in Asana

Also, the PM is definitely interested in your feedback regarding these limits.
Don’t hesitate to use the dedicated link in the Bundle panel (“Send feedback”)

Hope that helps :wink:

4 Likes

Is there a plan to add bundles to project templates? I love the idea of being able to edit all the rules for every project my team owns at once, but I can’t give up having the rules in our new project template. I just don’t see my team going through the extra step of using the template and adding a rule bundle each time they create something new.

Alternatively, if we could just use bundles in place of templates when generating a new project, that would work for us as well.

3 Likes

Thanks so much!

1 Like

Hi @anon71076271

@Marie (our Community Program Manager) was saying recently that “The product team already confirmed there were no plans to incorporate Bundles into project templates for now”

But you are not the only one pushing that idea :slight_smile:

Hi All,

Bundles is an awesome feature which unlocks a lot of possibilities for us as well as has the potential to remove a lot of custom scripting we have in place to manage custom fields across a large number of projects. There is an issue however which is stopping us from adopting Bundles.

There seems to be no way of searching for a Bundle when adding it to a project. The only options I can see are to filter by Bundles managed or owned by me or to scroll through a list of all available Bundles. By default all Bundles in our organisation are shared and we have a rather large organisation with 1000s of projects and many teams. There are Bundles we are creating that we want to make available for anyone in our org to use and likewise we want to consume bundles from other teams. Having to scroll through a Bundles list that appears to be in no particular order is proving to be quite a negative user experience and making it near impossible to find Bundles. Is there an option to search for a Bundle by it’s name or is there something I’m missing?

Thanks,
Ian

Hi @anon71076271 and @Arthur_BEGOU, I just got an update from our Product Team about your question! We are planning to launch the ability to use Bundles in Project Templates :tada: Although we don’t have an estimated launch date to share right now, please stay tuned for updates in this post! We will let you know once we launch this option!

6 Likes