Sort by Due Date - ascending or descending option

Asana has recently changed the sorting on projects, which has completely ruined the way we use one of our projects. I now have to scroll down through 700+ tasks to see the most recently added tasks. WHY WHY WHY canā€™t it just be an option for Ascending or Descending sort? Why does Asana make it only work one way?!?!

• Previously happy, now extremely frustrated Asana user
4 Likes

Hi @Jubal_Routley,

Have a look at this post.

Could you check if this helps?

Thanks.

Hi @anon41024217,
Thank you for the suggestion. I should note that we are adding tasks to this project via the API and which seems to add them to the bottom of the list (using List layout). If there was a way for the API to use the same add task function as the top button that might resolve our issue.

Hi @Jubal_Routley, thanks for sharing your feedback with us. We already have a thread in our #productfeedback category on this topic so Iā€™ve gone ahead and merge your post with the main thread to centralize feedback. Iā€™ll make sure to share any updates as soon as we have any information about this feature.

1 Like

Hi there - is there a solution for the ascending / descending date range for searching for completed tasks?

Having to scroll through hundreds of old tasks just to find something completed a few weeks back is terrible.

Please help! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Agreed!

This is such a basic/core/critical feature, that Iā€™m shocked it hasnā€™t even been implemented yet (after more than 2 years from the original request).

In general, any sorting feature should have an ascending/descending option. So you canā€¦ sort.

Boards and lists are supposed to give us a quick overview of the information. And in a lot of cases (really, most of them) we all want to see the last/upcoming tickets, not the ones from months or years ago.

We have tools to create tickets from scratch, to connect tickets to other boards, to create subtasks and follow-up tasksā€¦ But still, not a proper/basic way to sort all of these? :persevere:

Please, implement this as soon as possible. It is basic and critical for our daily work. :pray:

5 Likes

Agreed: please add ascending/descending to sort by due date. But also, in Board view, it seems like a mistake that the default sort-by-due-date does not sort by time, if a time has been added to the due date. My ā€œTodayā€ column is a jumble because of this! Am I missing something?

2 Likes

Ability to switch due date view (ascending/descending) is an absolute must. Canā€™t believe this was overlooked. Please enable ASAP. Also, enable option to add a custom ā€œdateā€ field. Only ā€œdue dateā€ is currently available as a date field. We need to be able to add other date fields to projects and have ability to sort both ascending and descending. Thank You!

2 Likes

I can no longer sort my incomplete tasks by due date in the correct order on the app. The app updated and hasnā€™t been the same since. I canā€™t choose between ascending order and descending order. It is showing all my incomplete tasks with no due date first. I donā€™t know why I can no longer change the order so that I can see todayā€™s incomplete tasks first.

Hey @Lou_Buono_Jr,

I do agree this would be helpful.
As far as I know that is currently the expected behavior.

Here is a thread you might want to upvote: Sort by Due Date - ascending or descending option

1 Like

Thank you. The part that confuses me is that it always sorted that way by default on my mobile app. Iā€™ve used it that way for a few years and also had a widget on the phone that displayed it the same way. Now since the update. Itā€™s really such a basic function. I donā€™t know why they donā€™t just get it done,

Hi Team Asana, please add this functionality (I really need the ability to sort Due dates in both directions - i.e. ascending and descending order). Thanks!

3 Likes

I would like the ability to reverse sort a Task List with a Project. Currently you can sort alphabetically etc., however you arenā€™t able to flip the order. E.g if you have reference numbers at the beginning of a group of tasks, you can only sort lowest to highest, you arenā€™t able to sort highest to lowest.

Hello @anon51273687 welcome to the Community :wave:

You might also be interested in upvoting here: Sort by Due Date - ascending or descending option

And as a workaround you can take a look at Asana2Go: Sorting in Asana - #159 by lpb

1 Like

Voted! I have so many tasks (ideas) in one column that even when I scroll (and scrollā€¦and scroll) Asana crashes and I have to refresh the page. I feel like my old ideas are being held hostage!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Couldnā€™t agree more. Not being able to sort ascending/descending seems like the most basic functionality one could expect from a sort function at all. It would make my job immeasurably simpler and more efficient!

3 Likes

This would be a very helpful addition! I canā€™t even count how many times Iā€™ve sorted to find things out of place.

I feel like there are more and more features I Google about Asana only to find out 1) they canā€™t be done 2) there are several threads full of people asking for it to be fixed over the course of years.
Itā€™s usually basic stuff like sorting, which a chart in TablePress could do.

I guess we did get new icon colors though and thatā€™s nice.

4 Likes

Please please please add this feature. Our team spends way too much time scrolling through old tasks and a simple ascending/descending sort option would solve this instantly.

1 Like