Show "Team" in Task details

When I am looking at a task, I can see the name of the project, but I can’t see the name of the “team.” This is a problem, because we have multiple “teams” to divide up our clients and then there are projects within that related to the specific client. So we need to know which client we are working on. We have a workaround right now where we have to write the “team name” or the client name into the task title, but it’s often forgotten and a very clunky workaround.

1 Like

@Regina_Bellows, I too would like to see the Team link more easily, both to view and to click on occasion so I added my vote. But as an alternate workaround, I often name my projects with a team prefix, so maybe that could help since you mention you can see the project name. So you might have a team name of Northwest and project names like NW Client1, NW Client2, etc.

2 Likes

Hey @Regina_Bellows!

Thank you for your feedback and for providing us with more details on why this would improve your and your teams’ workflow. I think that @lpb’s suggestion might work quite well as a workaround for you and your team in the meantime.

I have slightly edited your Feedback title to allow for it to be easily discoverable for other Community Forum Members.

Hi Regina,

To add to @lpb suggestion, you can also assign each team with an emoji and use the team emoji in the task name. Or you can use custom fields to identify the team.

Katie

2 Likes

Would love to see this as well. Teams are similar to “Spaces” in a lot of other apps I’ve looked at, so in my use and I assume many others’ they are sort of a “grouping” for projects. So being able to see in the hierarchy where a task lies is very beneficial. Asana already has great illustration of Task/Subtask hierarchy in the Task Detail, as well as showing which projects, so this missing piece would pretty much “complete” that detail.

Great suggestion big +1!

Our organization is small (4 people) and we’ve been creating Teams that represent each of our many clients, with projects under each team to organize work. Often, multiple Teams will have similarly named projects (e.g., Jane Doe > Website and Jill Jetson > Website, etc.)

When one of our organization members creates a task under either of those example projects, an email notification will go out to whoever is subscribed, with a link that leads to the task details. Unfortunately the task details has no indication of which Team the task is for, and shows only the project name, which is not super helpful since there are potentially lots of projects with the same name. (In this example, at least 2 projects called “Website”.)

While I can click on the project name to see all the other tasks in that project, there is still no indication even on the Project page of which Team it belongs to.

It’s extremely burdensome to have to click around in the UI trying to find which team is being interacted with. I’ve hunted around in the settings, but I can’t seem to find a way to have Asana show the Team information on the task detail UI. Are we out of luck on this?

Is there a UI element somewhere that I’m missing which leads directly to the Team that a task/project is part of?

1 Like

Hi @Luke_Graybill It would be nice if Asana included the Team within a breadcrumb. I have a client that has the same setup and they put the client name in each project.

Super Client SEO
Super Client Social Media

Hi @Luke_Graybill, welcome to the Asana Community Forum :wave:

While this feature isn’t available at this time, hopefully it’s something our Product team can implement in the future

We do have an existing thread for this feature request in the #productfeedback category so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with the existing one to consolidate feedback.

I’ll keep you posted and let you know if I have any updates :slight_smile:

1 Like

Where is the progress on this request from 3 years ago? This seems like basic, elementary functionality to me. It is ridiculous to have to use these clunky workarounds to make Asana work for managing multi-team environments. Asana - when will this be added?

3 Likes

I’m new to Asana and searched to see why I couldn’t see my clients’ (Teams) names in my task list. Same as others have said, I do similar tasks for many clients and I can’t differentiate them in a task list without a workaround. Can you please add a column for Team? For such a robust program this seems like a huge oversight. Thank you!

Note: Not a solution but marked as such to elevate a key reply

Until/if Asana addresses this, a workaround many of us use is to prefix project names with the team’s name (or an abbreviation).

For example, if you have teams that represent each client organization, and similar project names for each, disambiguate the project names as follows:

• REI: Website
  • REI: Email Campaigns
  • WWF: Website
  • WWF: Email Campaigns

Note that the OP suggested doing this task-by-task, but that’s a lot of work; this only needs to be done a single time, at project creation. When you see the task, the project name is always at hand either in the task detail pane or in in the “Projects” column in list view if you toggle that on.

Larry