Add project name to each task in calendar view

I find that with many small projects happening all at once, there aren’t enough colors to assign to each project to be useful in calendar view. I’ve been manually adding the project name to each of my tasks every morning to avoid having to keep reopening them to see which project it’s for. For example, as a contractor, one of my tasks in my project template is “Send proposal.” So when I’m looking at my calendar and see “Send proposal” 7 times in the same day, among many other tasks, I’d like it to tell me which project. Is there a way to add the project name to the end of each task without having to do it manually? I think many would find this useful.

17 Likes

We have this problem, too. We’re a web team, so we have the same broad steps for a lot of projects: client review, team review, QA, etc. This would make a big difference in the happiness of my team.

3 Likes

Since I sometimes have more projects than there are colors I can easily distinguish, I only use colors for status or importance.

So in calendar view I can’t tell what project a task belongs to without opening it. I am experimenting with putting the project name or short name in to the names of each task so I can use the calendar as a normal person.

It would be a huge help if you could just print the project name in the calendar view.

1 Like

What about using tags or custom fields? In calendar view would you be able to see the tag? what about timeline view?

Unless a contractor is a member of the actual project they can’t see custom fields, which is INSANE. We have same issue. We can make a freelancer a member of a project but they see everything!!! Not cool. But if we assign them a task in a project they can’t see custom field. Yes you can do tags but then you have to remember to add the tag every single time. Whereas if Asana could figure this out by what project it is assigned to, then that would be simple.

The solution is easy. There are thousands of emojis possible, that you can place with the text of tasks and projects. they really help distinguish similar items. In your case, you could add the same emoji to the project and all it’s tasks. A different project and all it’s tasks could have a different emoji associated.

Unfortunately…
Asana have really dropped the ball with emojis. There are only about 20 - 30 that work in task and project titles. There is a thread somewhere where I mention all the ones that work (they are quite random).

1 Like

I was just there, Dylan! Here’s your list and the related entry: Organization Tip of the Day- Emojis - #11 by Lori_Williams

thank you for doing that!

I’d find it useful. Thank you for raising this topic.

1 Like

We’re having the same issue and I don’t think emojis would be the best way. For example, I assign multiple “Copy Assignments” to our copywriter. When she looks at her tasks she she’s a line of “Copy Assignments” . It would be helpful to her to show the task name as “Copy Assignment_Project” or vice versa so she can distinguish between all of her copy assignments.

1 Like

Hi there - I also agree. At any given time our firm has between 300 and 400 active projects. Having the project name listed in each task within calendar view would make this tool far more effective. As a workaround we have been putting the project name within each task, which is pretty innefficient.

It would be great to use the calendar or timeline view and have the project name easily visible. Trying to get team members to learn and associate an emoji with a project is not helpful, in my opinion.

2 Likes

Hello everybody. I’m here with pretty the same question - adding task name to a subtask, like [Subtask name] + [Task name]
We have a template for a standard operation with about 25 subtasks. They are assigned to different people and they cannot identify which subtask they are assigned to unless they check it manually one by one.