Show number of underlying tasks in Board columns

Hi,

We use Asana boards for workflow to faster move task focus and completion along - New in, Back log, In progress, Review / Feedback, Done. A very small, but helpful thing would be to see (next to the column’s name, for example) how many underlying, uncompleted tasks there are in a column row. It’s an easy way to see the workload in every step of the workflow (e.g. Back log - 71 tasks, In progress - 7 tasks). It would not only enable all team members to better gauge the workload in each workflow status, but also enable them to see directly if WIP (Work In Progress) limits are met / being respected.

4 Likes

I too would find a task count feature for each column useful.

4 Likes

Yeah I’d really like to do this. Currently I’ve had to use the API and serverless functions to query the api and count based on board column. Also using a serverless function to insert better “task ids” but thats another issue. Please add board column task counts :slight_smile:

1 Like

Would love this!

We use Asana very heavily and would benefit from this too. The two missing features to make Asana easier to use in Product management flows would be the # of tickets in a specific kanban column, and the ability to have lanes in a kanban board

Hi everybody!

I’m delighted to announce that we’ve implemented this feature as part of Introducing our new Spreadsheet-Inspired List View! .

Note the indicator for subtasks is available both in List and Board View :slight_smile:
Thank you so much for your patience and advocacy!

Have all a great week!

@Natalia Where do I see a count of tasks in a section on the list view? And further more, this feature request relates to seeing in the for columns in the board view!?

Hi @Henrik :wave:t5:

Are you referring to the option to see numbered rows on the tasks within a Project? If so, you simply need to follow these steps:

Click your profile photo in the top bar and select My Profile Settings
Navigate to the Display tab
Check the Show task row numbers box from the Advanced Options

You can read more in the following guide article: How to control your profile settings in Asana | Product guide • Asana

I hope this helps @Henrik!

I’ve activated that option in my profile settings but can’t see the amount of tasks in the board at the top of each row. Or where is this number supposed to be?

Hi @ignorama and thank you for reaching out!

Apologies for the confusion here. As it stands, this option is not available in Board view. I would recommend you to cast your vote on this thread if you would like to see this functionality in Asana.

Have a nice Friday!

1 Like

This is a critical feature for kanban processes. I have hundreds of tasks moving through kanban processes and I need to very quickly look at the board view and see how many items are in each column so that I can identify bottlenecks in the process. Every time I look at the board I am re-astonished to find that simple counts are not shown at the top of each column.

Additionally my team requests the ability to see descriptions written under the title of each column so they can quickly understand what needs to happen in that step of the process.

6 Likes

Kanban board counter is a huge must have. It’s shocking that it isn’t there.

5 Likes

I am new to Asana, so I am sorry if this is a simple answer.

Is there a way to show current task count on top of the Cards, or “sticky notes”, on our Project Board? Preferably a count of total tasks and subtasks.

Not at the moment, @Ty_Cox, but it would be a great new feature.

I made a mockup for this, hoping to revive this project and give it the boost it deserves. Seems like a simple enough project to achieve.

Edit: I noticed today that this count is available for sub tasks but not for sections.

8 Likes

I’d like to request a feature to provide a task counter at the top of each column in a project. We have boards with dozens of tasks in workflow columns, and it would be helpful to know the total number of tasks in that column without needing to scroll and manually count. Placing it next to the title of that column would be simple and easy.

2 Likes

Hi @Michael_Transon, welcome to the forum and thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us!

We already have a thread about this topic, I’ve gone ahead and merged your request with Show number of underlying tasks in Board columns to consolidate votes.

This is all I want from Asana at the moment. Every week for status reports I have to manually count the number of tasks in each column. It’s so tiresome and this feels like an obvious feature to include.

1 Like

+1

This should be a really easy addition to implement (array.length?) I am also surprised that it’s not currently possible. It’s available in Jira and Basecamp. Jira even shows the count per person. I don’t know why Asana skipped it :man_shrugging:

Other than that, I love this app! :grin:

1 Like

Please add this feature. It is so easy to do and very helpful. Just a counter for each column showing the number of tasks