Subtask Progress Indicator & Bar

Hello Asana,
I am considering to switch back to Trello because of missing overview in the board view.

I talked with my fellow Asana power users and listening to them made me realize that they have the same silent pain that they could not describe but Trello solved it long time ago. And it’s the only reason why I am missing Trello:

**The one thing that Trello gets right is the Subtask(Checklist) Progress Indicator for each Task(Card).

Could you guys please implement this feature?

• This would save so much time (Always opening a task to see if the subtasks are done -.-)

• The Dashboard or the upcoming Home screens are nice to have as an overview of everything, but to get more overview and clarity we need progress bars and indicators on each task and board.

3 Likes

To keep our projects clean, we use subtasks. It would be very helpful if there was a way to have a ‘Field’ that showed ‘% Complete’ based on the number of completed subtasks (divided by total subtasks). This would be immensely helpful for gauging project health and finding potential issues early.

15 Likes

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us @mikey_k

There is an existing thread regarding this topic in the Forum so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with it to avoid duplication. I hope it’s OK

Have a great week Mikey! :smiley:

I agree with this request… but I want to take it a step further. Time/effort context needs to be given to tasks and subtasks. For example, if I have a project (or parent task) that has 10 subtasks, and I have completed 5 of them. Well, in the world of counting bananas, that would be 50% complete. But if the subtasks require time like this:
ST01 - 4h
ST02 - 30m
ST03 - 1.5h
ST04 - 1h
ST05 - 2h
ST06 - 1h
ST07 - 30m
ST08 - 8h
ST09 - 6h
ST10 - 1h

So if I completed these in order, the first 5 tasks would have been worth 9 hours, the last 5 are worth 16.5. Or 35% after the first 5 tasks instead of 50%.

I really think this is an important element to add. This will be huge for Portfolios too!

You just have to add some kind of estimated work time to each task. And to take this a step even further, it would be awesome to have some presets available these estimates. So if I have a task called “QC Video” maybe that should always default to 15min. This could be overridden for sure, but its default could be set by a master list.

If you want to take it a step EVEN FURTHER… okay, I’m getting out of hand with this one! But it would be even more awesome if the task could LEARN based on each person’s typical time. Granted, you really don’t have a time function in Asana, but if somehow you could work with the 3rd party integrators like Everhour (or Harvest, etc), maybe you could pull that data in.

So if I have a task assigned to me called “Edit Video” (pretty broad I know), over the past 5 or 10 “edit video” tasks, I have taken:
3h
17h
10h
5h
22h

etc… then it could just figure out the average. Eventually, with this kind of power, I would probably have to create different levels of editing videos like “Level 1 Edit Video” “Level 2 Edit Video” “Level 3 Edit Video” this way each one would have its own learned estimate.

6 Likes

I’m still deciding if our company should go with Trello or Asana. This is the one feature I would really miss if we chose to go with Asana instead of Trello.

Yes this would be very useful to have. With subtasks having multiple levels, I think I will be using Asana tasks at times as mini-projects. With Wrike, you can have subprojects, and the progress will roll up to the top level. That would be huge to see in Asana via this progress bar for all subtasks that are children in the hierarchy.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi Devs, just a suggestion for a feature here. I’m using the free version so apologies if this is a feature in the paid version.

On the task card, the number of comments is indicated in the bottom right corner, so it would be great if it could display the number of completed subtasks as well (e.g., 4/10 would indicate that four out of the 10 subtasks have been completed).

It would help users see how the tasks are progressing at a glance without having to click in the task.

Thanks!
Brian

2 Likes

Got my vote - We are moving over from Trello and being able to see how many subtasks are complete / incomplete without opening a card saves plenty of time. Also just being able to see which card HAVE subtasks is good (Save clicking on each one to find out)

3 Likes

it would be helpful to see a % of subtasks left to be completed on a project at the top-level board view. The presence of the % could also double as an indicator that the task has subtasks as requested here.

4 Likes

I know a lot of people have asked about adding progress status to individual tasks.

Would it be a good idea to link such a progress to the number of completed subtasks?
I know that Kanbanize works like this.

eg. If you have 5 subtasks, then each one you check off shows its parent task as being 20% more completed. When you have checked all 5, the task itself is completed.

2 Likes

Hi @Alex_Bailey1 :wave: and thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us!

We already have a thread requesting this feature so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with it to consolidate feedback and votes. I hope it’s OK.

3 Likes

Continuing the discussion from Subtask status/indicators in boards:

In relation to this great new feature, could it possibly be modified to show how many subtasks are outstanding. Eg 5 of 10 etc.

1 Like

Hi @Tim_Jasper :wave: Thank you for taking time to share your feedback with us!

There is an existing thread regarding this functionality, so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post to avoid duplications. I hope It’s OK.

I’ll make sure to keep you posted in this main thread as soon as I hear anything on my end!

Have a great week Tim! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Essential feature!

I also vote for the x/y subtasks completed. We moved from Trello to Asana and this is certainly a missed feature

4 Likes

Most places that show tasks also show the the number of subtasks along with the subtasks icon. Adding the number complete before the total number would be nice.

4 Likes

It’d be nice to see the count of completed subtasks next to the total subtasks in the parent task. Like here:

Screen Shot 2020-05-08 at 11.27.39 AM

9 Likes

Something like this would be really useful! It is somewhat of a necessity…

3 Likes

Is this a new feature yet? I’m having trouble finding how to set it up. Specifically, I want the progress of my subtasks to be reflected in the total percentage complete in the primary task. Under a default or until it’s a feature, customizable tag field function.

Secondarily it would also be nice to have a tag field - subtasks complete that shows as a fraction, ie. 4/6. Our business analysts and project management department are having to calculate this manually when I export the projects.

2 Likes

I agree. This seems like a feature that other similar products offer (Rally, Trello, Jira) and would love to see it in Asana. My team is actively asking for this feature.

@Natalia Do you have any updates on if this feature is being developed?

1 Like