Short ID for tasks

Hello are there some news about this useful request?
I agree too to the need of a task id visible on:

• task detail (as field)
  • notification email

Thanks.

Hi @Riccardo_Mares, thanks for commenting. We donā€™t have any new information to share yet, but weā€™ll be sure to inform everyone in the thread once we have updates!

1 Like

As a business predominantly using ticketing systems, but we really want everyone in the business to adopt Asana, this feature is critical.

2 Likes

Based on @Phil_Seeman idea somewhere above we created this using Zapier + Google Sheets.
The only difference is that we do not use Google Sheet Script as we could not make it trigger. The scripts trigger only OnEdit and creating a line with Zapier via the API is not considered ā€œEdit.
We have Sheets with Pre-created numbers and Zapier just picks the next free one and puts it back in Asana.

Some projects will have the unique number created automatically - tickets

Some projects we use Asana Automation with a custom field. The custom field says ā€œgenerate numberā€ > adds to a buffer project + changes the value of the field to ā€œgeneratedā€
Zapier is watching the buffer project and is adding the number. this is if you want to generate a number manually only for some of the tasks in a project.

The cool thing is you have complete control over how and where to update the task also pulling other data if you want like ā€œdate createdā€, etc.
If you have another app that is linked to Zapier you can pull data from it too and add it to the task (forms, sheets, crm, etc.)

The downside is that you need a Zapier account and depending on how many tasks you want to number most probably you will need a paid account.
We managed to solve this with 5 steps per Zap, maybe someone more experienced can downsize them to 2 or 3 which will save Zapier credits

1 Like

Dear support team, how many votes do we need on this forum entry to be important enough for Asana to consider the development? We could create hacks using our integration framework, create a ā€œjump hostā€ and redirect to the original long / unintelligible Asana URLs, but it would only highlight the problem to our clients, showing that we are not using a system that truly supports us.

TBH, itā€™s not clear that even 1000 votes for a feature would move the Asana dev team.

2 Likes

We should probably collect all the forum topics together that are about this feature, like Task with unique identifier
Iā€™m already giving up fighting with Asana, mainly because of this misfeatureā€¦ also, the negative usability changes (like dead meat navigation ā€œDetails>ā€ button in lists) we are seeing lately, are worrying.

Itā€™s been about 6 months since I last asked and it appears that other than more people asking for this feature, there is still no feedback from Asana? Can someone from Asana please address this request? Is this even a consideration for Asana?

@AjD,

Please understand that Asana by their policy doesnā€™t discuss possible future happenings, so I would not have expectations of any feedback from them. Hereā€™s some more useful context:

Agreed with all those that have contributed to this thread - this is a real dealbreaker!

We started to build a list of workarounds, including for this feature request: šŸ”„ Hottest feature requests and their workarounds

Any new idea?

I signed up for Asana today, to try it out and see if I can move my team to this tool. It looks like a great tool, with the main exception being - no project specific task ID. Like many others have mentioned - we use that in source code commits, and have even build a custom integration to create comments with links to source code changes and diffs for the tool we currently use (Clubhouse).

At any rate - seeing how long this has been asked for and the amazing lack of feedback on this - I am passing on Asana. Too bad.

This thread is over 3 years old and still nothing from Asana. Can they please just decide whether to do this or not already!!!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?

Even if Asana does not decide to do it right away, they do re-evaluate this kind of request on a regular basis. And the number of votes on the product request is weighing in on the decision!

+1 from me. Itā€™s really annoying not being able to anyhow meaningfully connect git feature branches with Asana :frowning:

2 Likes

This is by far my largest pet peeve with Asana. Itā€™s a very very useful feature in Jira and is a major blocker for converting most Jira based dev teams to Asana.

1 Like

@Phil_Seeman : thanks for the comment, I know you are only trying to be helpful and I am (selfishly) only looking for Asana to address a significant need for our organization, but with no feedback from Asana on this particular feature, it is making me actually consider an alternative, something I would not have dreamed of doing after deploying Asana.

The ability to track Tasks by ID is of such vital importance to our organizationā€™s ability to consolidate our tools, improve our speed and efficiency and therefore our positive impact on our staff and clients, that knowing most other tools provide this capability makes me wonder if other tools have enough other necessary characteristics to consider a migration?

Thatā€™s not a threat. We are only a 25-member organization and are minuscule in terms of Asana, so there would be no impact on Asana if we left. Andā€¦ this feature is not yet a deal-breaker, but it is moving in that direction. Considering how old this request is, I would have thought there would be ā€˜someā€™ response from Asana after almost FOUR years and that by the time this did become a deal-breaker, Asana would have some (maybe not ideal, but some) solution.

Unfortunately, there has only been the sound of silenceā€¦

1 Like

No feedback does not mean they wonā€™t never do anything. They consider each thread like this one on a regular basis, and donā€™t communicate on the roadmap.

So you mean they will ever do anything?
Sorry, just a double negative joke. :wink:

I get it, Asana Dev is the ivory tower, nobody dare approach, they prefer to just watch the people from the wallsā€¦ I understand, they want a development environment that yields the results the Asana company is looking for. But four yearsā€¦ it just seems like the idea of having a Task ID has been rejected awhile ago and nobody informed the users, other than via the ambassadors, which are doing their best to be helpful.

Donā€™t get me wrong, I am a big fan of Asana. The depth, flexibility, smooth UI and regular new features, there is a lot to like (other than the new color palette, which is horrible), which is why I selected Asana for our company in the first place. Itā€™s just four years with no response is aā€¦ long time.

2 Likes

I am a developer and also a small business owner, I use asana for my small business.
Iā€™m a jira and bugherd guy for a long time both offers TASK ID which helps a lot saving time.

Iā€™m looking forward for this feature to be developed and will not hesitate to go premium anytime this feature has been added.