Set a second due date

Hi everyone,
I have been browsing the forum but I cannot seem to find a solution to my problem, though I think it should be quite simple:
Is it possible to set a second due date in a separate custom field? I would like to use it for creative assets which needs to be printed, delivered and installed in stores in order to differentiate it from the creative production due date.
Thanks!

8 Likes

Hi @Caterina_Andolfato

At present there isnā€™t a Date type custom field, you can use a text field but then you canā€™t guarantee the quality not the input.

You could create a follow up task with a future date or potentially a sub task for that future date.

Jason.

1 Like

Thank you @Jason_Woods! A date custom field would be really nice to have but at least in some cases I think I can solve the issue by setting up a request form and add a second date as mandatory.

7 Likes

Hey, @Caterina_Andolfato

I would love this too. There was an announcement last year about new custom field types, including a ā€˜dateā€™ field. Unfortunately, it looks like it was shelved:

However, thereā€™s still a product feedback thread here, if you want to add your vote:

10 Likes

Hi @Mark_Hudson - thanks for the info!
I just added my vote to the thread and fingers crossed, it would be a great feature to have and seems like many users would benefit from it

2 Likes

@Caterina_Andolfato, not ideal but you could also create a Subtask for creative assets?

2 Likes

@Marie, thanks for the input!
Since we are just now rolling out Asana across teams, I fear subtasks might create some confusion at this point but I will keep it mind

2 Likes

100% agree @Caterina_Andolfato, if youā€™re onboarding a new team, custom fields might be more discoverable and reduce chances of subtasks falling through he cracks!

1 Like

Hi Caterina,

You may want to play around with the idea of creating multiple tasks for each and use different color tags to denote each step (production and assets) or there might be a possibility of using milestones as well in a non-traditional way. Using a convention that the production are tasks and assets are milestones. Just a thought!

Katie

3 Likes

Hi @Katie_Reynolds,

thank you for the suggestion!

It is a good solution for a different scenario but in this case the actual production was more of a nice-to-have additional info for the graphic team rather than a key milestone so I will probably just leave it out and avoid create any confusion or overcrowding :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Caterina_Andolfato The subtask option would be my choice. You can then choose Add to Project and place underneath your main task so that it stays visible within the project. This is especially helpful if you donā€™t have the task assigned to anyone specific.

2 Likes

Olive,

I agree, but the poster already indicated her preference to not use subtasks.

Katie

whoops sorry thought you were the poster.

2 Likes

Hi @Olive, I am the poster :slight_smile:
Thanks for your input - I will definitely keep subtasks in mind for the future but I donā€™t think they are solving my issue at this stage

2 Likes

Would be a nice feature especially for nonprofits who have a few deadlines for example grants. I was in need of that myself instead of having to change the dates each step on the whole project.

2 Likes

When I create a subtask, I just add it to either the main project or to another project that that team is working on. Itā€™s more tedious for you to organize, but it goes to the team you need it to. AsanaProjectLayout

2 Likes

boooo
wellā€¦
looks like that I will have to head to another PM solution as adding additional dates field is a requirement I have.
Shame on Asana for not listening to its customers for over two yearsā€¦

2 Likes

HI Caterina,

Iā€™m looking for this feature as well. Have you found a workable solution for your team?

Thanks!

1 Like

Please add this ā€“ this is out of the box functionality in most project mgmt tools

2 Likes

We need this feature and it should not be difficult to add. Itā€™s actually more important that I see how long something has been assigned than a prospective due date because I need to know what has been lagging.

3 Likes