Seeing all tags

Is it possible to see all tags added within an Organization? We want to try to control the vocabulary some by seeding the tag roster.

6 Likes

Some answers here: https://www.quora.com/How-can-I-display-all-of-my-tags-in-Asana

1 Like

Yes, using the API is your best bet for viewing a full list of tags. You may be interested in posting in the Developer category here in the Community for more details.

2 Likes

The Quora answer will work for those who have fewer than 100 tags (I think - or thereabout) and aren’t comfortable working with the API. If you too many tags, you’ll get an error.

At that point, your best bet is the API, but if you’re not sure how to work with the API directly, you can also get this list via our API Explorer.

Here’s a quick walk through:

1. First, go to Build an app with Asana and click the Explorer tab, right beneath “Tags.”

2. Next, you’ll need to authorize your Asana account by clicking the purple button at the top of the page (“Click to authorize API explorer”).

3. From the drop-down menu, select GET /workspaces/:workspace/tags.

4. Select your Organization or Workspace from the drop-down menu found beneath “Attribute Parameters.”

5. Increase the limit beneath Paginate parameters to 100. Note that the limit can’t be set to be greater than 100.

6. If your Organization or Workspace has more than 100 tags, you’ll need to use the “offset” parameter to get your next page of tags. This offset parameter is found at the bottom of each list of tags that’s returned.

7. You can get each subsequent page by copy/pasting the latest offset parameter into the OFFSET field.

8. Repeat as needed, until you have all of your tags.

5 Likes

I like to pre-populate the tags list by adding a list of preferred tags to one task created solely for this purpose. This helps me remember my own preferred tags by seeding the list, as you said, and provides a convenient directory that I can use to filter by those tags (just open the task, and click on the desired tag).
Obviously, this provides no control over tags added organically by other users, but it does produce suggestions. You could do this without explanation and let the power of suggestion go to work, or you could, say, assign a special color to let users know these are preferred tags.
Creating a task as a tag directory is also useful for creating distinct taxonomies within yet separate from organically-created tags. For instance, by using .tagname, @tagname, #tagname or -tagname I can create one or more collections of ‘special’ tags that can co-exist with plain organic tasks (tagname).
Example: If I wanted to use tags for assigning the classic Getting Things Done contexts, I might create a task named GTD contexts then tag it with @home @work @waiting and so on. Now, when I tag any another task, I can type @ to see a list of all my GTD specialty tags. Alternatively, I can start typing home, work, or waiting to find the specialty tags as well as any others that include those words.

3 Likes

https://minimalist-work.com/asana/tags

Updated link 30 Apr 2021

4 Likes

Good catch @Stephanie_Oberg, missed this thread =)

2 Likes

Best. Solution. Ever.

1 Like

the link doesn’t work anymore

Bastien rearranged some things on his website; here is the updated link: iDO Tools - Improve Asana with our tools and automations

Thanks Phil for doing the support of my tools :heart: @Stephanie_Oberg can you update the link in your post please?

1 Like

What is the maximum number of tags an organization could have?

I don’t think there is a limit.

1 Like

Does this mean any regular user can create new tags but there is no simple way to manage/view/clean-up tags within Asana? Why? :weary: :weary: :weary:

3 Likes

Yes. That is the case.

There is a paid 3rd party solution that does a nice job: iDO Tools - Improve Asana with our tools and automations

Welcome to Asana, the land of the 3rd party workarounds.

3 Likes

I’m thankful for @Bastien_Siebman 's tool, but the duplicate tags I’m trying to delete don’t show up in Asana (although they display on the iDO list as well as in Zapier). There doesn’t seem to be a way for me to delete the ghost dupes through Asana or iDO.

I’ll raise a ticket internally to Asana.

I tried and with my tool you get a link to the tag’s page, and once on the page you can select the menu > Delete!

Bastien’s tool looks really cool, awesome job.

But, why hasn’t asana incorporated this feature into its design?

That’s a great question, I have no idea. :person_shrugging:
My guess: tags haven’t gotten much love for years, almost no one complains, because as soon as you pay you use mostly custom fields