Searching within a custom field

Is there a way to search for a word or phrase within a custom text field?

We’re currently using a project board as a way to track the status of proposals that come in. The task name is the name of the author of the proposal, and we added a custom field for the title of the proposal, and additional custom fields with more info, so it looks like one big spreadsheet.

At times, I want to be able to search for a word or phrase within the title of the proposal (maybe I forgot the author of the proposal but I know a key term in the title). However, when I use advance search, it only provides results for the task name, so the items I’m looking for aren’t showing up.

So is there a way to search for words that aren’t necessarily in the name of the task? Or do I need to restructure the board so that any key info I might potentially search is all in the task name (which will make it a little harder to read)? Seems odd that there’s no feature to search for anything within a board.

Hi @Soula_Servello, thanks for reaching out! In this case, you can select a specific field in the advanced search parameters and search by tasks that contain that field. If you select a Text field, you will be able to select “Contains the words”.

Screenshot 2020-12-18 at 11.09.20

Screenshot 2020-12-18 at 11.10.51

I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Hello,

This actually didn’t work for me. I tried to reply via email with screenshots but got an error message and now it won’t let me add screenshots to the reply.

Anyway, when I select Add Custom Field in the search the field I’m looking for doesn’t show up as an option. The custom fields it lets me select from are all drop-downs fields, none of the text fields show up. When I type in the name of the field “Project Title”, it says no matches found. So I can’t even get to the point of being able to put in “contains the words”. What am I missing?

@Soula_Servello,

I think the issue is that the Custom Field you want is local to a project; to use in Advanced Search, it must be a Global Custom Field from your Organization’s field library. See this (scroll a bit): How to Create and Use Custom Fields in Asana | Product Guide • Asana Product Guide

Re adding screenshots here in the Forum, I think you get permission to do that after some usage.

Hope that helps,

Larry

2 Likes