Searching based on Project level custom field

Is it possible to search within a project based on the value of a custom field?

Hi @Benjamin_Ragan, yes it is possible! Here is the easiest way to achieve this

1. Access your project
  2. In the top right corner of your screen, click on the 3 dots menu and select “Search this project”
    Capture d’écran 2021-03-03 à 09.41.48
  3. Add your custom field to your Search using the “+ Add filter” option
  4. Enter the value or select the drop down you want to look tasks for
  5. Click search and you’ll get the list of all tasks in this project with the custom field value you have entered in your search

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

@Marie: I have tried those steps. When I try to type the name of a Project level custom field, the box states ‘No matches found’. I have no problem searching a custom field at the workspace level. It is just project level custom fields.

Hi @Benjamin_Ragan, I believe you need to add your custom field to your Organisation library (this can be done from the custom field edit menu - more info in Custom Fields • Asana)

@Marie: Thank you for the quick response. If we add a custom field to the organization library, then it will be usable on other projects.

In our case, we have a custom field which has the same name but different values in the drop down (e.g. Priority might be ‘High’ and ‘Low’ in one project and ‘Urgent’ and ‘Deferred’ in another). Using the project level custom fields gives our teams full control of how their projects are setup without worrying about interfering with other projects.

Due to this, searching a project level custom field would be a great feature.

1 Like