Searching Archived Project Titles

I share everyoneā€™s frustration that this is a much need feature but in the meantime I refer to the beginning of this thread where Marie Community Forum Manager says: **. . I completely understand that this change is painful; for the time being, the best advice I can give you is to search through the ā€œArchived projectsā€ option, - and my question is - How does once access the Archived Projects option? I canā€™t locate it in Advanced Search.

1 Like

This feature would indeed be much apreciated! thanks

As with all other users here, I am amazed the functionality to search Archived projects is not yet available. We run thousands of projects through Asana, all of which are based on Templates that have tasks with identical names.

Is there an update as to when this issue will be fixed?

I agreeā€¦I am able to bring up sub-tasks from archived projects no problem. Seems very usable for me.

1 Like

This must be added. Even adding in a checkbox option to include searching for archived projects would suffice.

Typical scenario is I want to find a particular task thatā€™s in an archived project. I canā€™t remember the name of the exact task, but I do remember the name of the archived project itself (as itā€™s name is usually defined with a release number). Usually projects for our teams have 50 to 200 tasks, and projects may have tasks with the same name as other projects. Hereā€™s how a typical search would work:

1. Check search through archived projects, and search for project title with release number.
  2. Asana would provide a result with a list of projects that potentially match.
  3. I pick the archived project.
  4. Iā€™m able to drill down to the task I was trying to identify.
1 Like

Agreed with everyone here, this is sorely needed. I frequently need to go back and check on archived projects and itā€™s quite difficult to do so.

I was cleaning up some completed projects from last year and I archived them.
Now I am completely unable to locate those archived projects. I came here and see that others have been reporting this issue for over a year.
There are tons of use cases where searching for archived projects is needed, please address this cirtical function.

This is a crucial feature for our team as well and itā€™s seriously inhibiting adoption from our senior management team (who are the key decision makers). Please add this feature soonā€¦ (perhaps a small toggle that says ā€œShow Archivedā€?)

1 Like

I will add my name to this discussion. As a longtime gmail user I am used to archiving mails, knowing that I can easily find them when needed. This way archiving projects came natural to me, up to the time I tried to find an archived project.

I think Asana needs to address this issue soon.

Adding in my comment here. This is sorely needed for repeat projects to go back, review timelines, look for project improvements, historical tasks, etc. Letā€™s get this added to Asana ASAP!

Not sure if this is a bug or a feature, but while grappling with the above problem, I found that if I open an archived folder (once it has already been archived), it now becomes searchable, for a limited amount of time.
Which means that the possibility to search archived projects is built into the system, but for some reason, it has been (intentionally?) limited. 08%20PM

1 Like

As a PM this feature not being there is kind of ridiculous. Hope its implemented soon.

Hi, any updates on this? This is a huge priority for my team.

We switched to Premium a few months ago and started using Projects properly (before that, our projects were technically at ā€˜taskā€™ level). We now include a code in the project title so that they are easily searchable by year and client, and they are also color coded by client. Now we are starting to complete and archive some of these projects, and Iā€™m discovering that I canā€™t easily pull them up. We have so many projects that happen annually, and I need to refer to the past yearā€™s project.

As someone else mentioned, this is the strange part: When I search for an archived project, at first there is no result. But if I find the project manually, then type in the search bar, it does show up in search results, with an ā€˜archivedā€™ symbol next to the title. Even after I refresh, use a different tab, etc. Something about visiting the project made it ā€˜activeā€™ in search results. So if itā€™s already possible, shouldnā€™t this just be the default? This seems like a bug.

Searching tasks isnā€™t a solution because our tasks have generic names like ā€œR2 feedback.ā€ They do not contain project identifiers.

Thanks for reading.

Need this one as well, please

Hi everybody!

Iā€™m closing this thread since is now possible to search for Archived Projects :slight_smile:
Our Guide hasnā€™t been modified just yet but it should be updated soon. In the meantime, should you have any follow-up question, donā€™t hesitate to ping me and Iā€™ll be more than happy to assist you further!

Have a great week! :wave:

2 Likes