🔭 Scenario based forecast reporting with the new Universal Reporting

Hi,

The latest Universal Reporting feature is exciting! After building my own dashboards, I realized we now have the ability to do what I call “Scenario based forecast reporting” where you can attach a scenario to your data and compare charts for each scenario!

Let me explain with an example. Let say we want to track revenues per month, and compare 2 scenarios: scenario A we close deals 1-2-3 in April & May, scenario B we close deals 4-5-6 all in May.

Here what the source project looks like:

The first column contains the task names: either the real invoice number, or the name of the deal for future deals. The second column contains the month, useful to build a bar chart. Then the amount in dollars. And finally a dropdown giving context to the task, whether this was a revenue matching reality, or a revenue attached to one of the scenarios.

And this is what my Universal Reporting Dashboard looks like

On the left we have, on top of each other, the monthly revenues for scenario A and scenario B. On the right this is the reference, with only the “real” revenues.

The settings of the scenario A graph are the following:

This is a bar chart graph, with the month on the x-axis and the amount on the y-axis, filtered on the Revenues project, with only tasks from “Reality” and “Scenario A”. The second and third charts are the same, the only difference being in the filtering of “Scenario vs Reality”.

Is that cool or was it obvious?! :thinking:

:fr: Version française

7 Likes

@Ben_Watkins I would love your input on this idea!

I love it @Bastien_Siebman! It’s a great way to visualize how deals might close if someone’s business is based on a scenario approach! With our business, we don’t often have multiple paths, but rather establish the likelihood of scenarios with probability. Because Friends don't let friends... Asana alone! (Make friends with a Developer) I have the ability to perform universal reporting across regional projects using a weighted volume. Can’t wait to build these out!

There is so many ways in which thus new feature will aggregate common data to tell a bigger story. When I was first exposed to it I immediately asked myself “what Saved Searches could become a slice of the pie or a bar on a chart? :thinking:” - with the ease at which you can view saved searches by clicking on the results in a custom chart, it’s going to streamline how data in Asana is retrieved and analyzed. I can’t wait to transform our experience!!!

2 Likes