Say Hello to Project Templates 2.0!

Thanks, @Phil_Seeman. Talk about obvious! I must have been staring at it for too long!

I have several templates and when I’ve been working to convert them I don’t see the option for setting the start or end date while editing the template. Is that option only available to certain subscribers. I base all my templates off of end date so I’m hoping this is just a bug.

This is what I see.

Hi @Rebecca_McGrath :grinning:

One quick question on the Project Templates 2.0 and converting a task to a project using a project template.

Previously when converting a task to a project there was the option to select ‘Subtasks as Project Tasks’ - see below.

However, now when converting a task to a project the only option available is ‘Add task collaborators as project members’. There is no option to select/deselect ‘Subtasks as Project Tasks’.
I am wondering if this option will be implemented again as I do not wish to convert my subtasks to tasks on the new project (under the new process the subtasks are automatically converting to tasks). Thanks a lot!

Thank you for your help. Here are screen shots for each step.
I created a project (see image here), then clicked “Save as Template”

After “save as template” my template does NOT have the option at the top to choose “from start date” or “from end date”.
see image here

Therefore, when I “Use template”.
It ONLY gives me the option of selecting from “start date”

@Stacey_Battenburg and @anon23122283, You have tasks with dates “14 days after” which means you’ve already set this particular template up as a “based on start date” type template.

You could create another template and then you’d see the option for start or due dates, and then add “14 days before” type tasks.

I’m not sure if you were to remove all the dates in this template if then the choice of start or due dates would then reappear.

Hope that helps,

Larry

1 Like

@Stacey_Battenburg

This info is helpful. Even in a new template that button is not there. I only see the option when I click in the due date column.

1 Like

@Stacey_Battenburg I think I figured it out. On my templates that have already been built, if I click on a due date on one task I see options to get the dates from the start date or the end date. I never saw the larger button but this step does work.

1 Like

One more question…since templates now live in a team and not in the workspace, is there a way to copy a template from one team to another team? If not, what is the best way for multiple teams to access the templates?

Perhaps it’s different from the docs. I haven’t upgraded yet so I was going by the docs; thanks for posting that.

I don’t believe you can can copy 2.0 project templates (this came up recently in another post or slack). So you’d need to place the template in a team that aggregates members of the other teams.

Hi. Is there a way to set the template to default the assignment of dependent tasks so that they are assigned upon the completion of a preceding task (where the dependency is set up)?

@anon23122283 (and @lpb),

Julie, you are exactly right: the current implementation of PT 2.0 does not include the selection shown as “2” in that screenshot in the docs. (Hopefully the docs are just a bit ahead and that will be introduced in the product.)

Currently the default behavior of a template is to be based on the project start date; if you want to change that so as to work off of the project due date, it has to be done in the way you described; that is, click on a due date of any task, then click on “After project start date”:

which leads to this screen where you can change it to “Before project due date”:

That’s an extremely non-intuitive way to make that change, so I’m assuming Asana realized it was too hard to find and they are adding the much-more-visible selection shown as “2” in that docs screenshot, but it just hasn’t quite made its way into the released product yet (as I say, I sure hope so!).

2 Likes

Not directly. You could do it by making a project from the template and then saving that project back as a template.

1 Like

There is not.

FYI we have this feature as one part of the Dynamic Duration workflow in our Flowsana integration (see the description for "Assign To" here).

Thanks for clarifying, @Phil_Seeman!

Maybe @Forum-team can explain the discrepancy between product and docs?

Larry

1 Like

Hi @anon3275783, by default subtasks will be added as project tasks with the new Project Templates 2.0. You can create a thread in #product-feedback requesting the option to select/deselect ‘Subtasks as Project Tasks’ so other users can also add their votes and share opinions on this :slight_smile:

Hi @lpb, reading back over the comments I’m not sure of the exact discrepancy you mention here. Could you please clarify? :slight_smile:

Sorry, @Rebecca_McGrath, I meant this from Phil:

where “2” in the screenshot is referring to:

Thanks,

Larry

Ok, Thanks for follow up Rebecca!