Rule action for creating a task from a Task Template

I’d like to add to this that I’d find it really helpful if the “task creation from task templates” in Rules would apply both to tasks and subtasks nested within them, particularly for a project I’ve created to send QA (sub)tasks to multiple people on a regular basis and have those (sub)tasks appear in other projects.

Actually, two options would work in my case:

1. Being able to use task templates to add subtasks in the Rule builder (my task templates are already set to add subtasks to particular projects)
  2. Add the option to add subtasks to particular projects in the Rule builder too (currently this seems to be available only on the task level but not subtask, as shown in the screenshots I’m adding for context)

I upvoted the proposal for the feature to “create tasks from templates” on this page, but if there’s a proposal to allow the possibility of adding subtasks to projects in the Rule builder, could you point me to that page so I can upvote it too?

Many thanks!

2 Likes

Hi @Darko_Marijancevic , welcome to the forum :wave:

Have you tried the Create subtasks action instead?
Otherwise, in the Create rule action, I’m fairly certain that you can add subtasks to that and then click into the subtask to set it to be added into a project, upon creation.

@Darko_Marijancevic,

In your screenshot, where you have “No option to add subtask to another project”, you just have to hit the keyboard shortcut [TAB-P]; that will expose the Projects field that you’re looking for.

I know, I know, it doesn’t make a lot of sense to me, either, but that’s how it works…

1 Like

It would be phenomenal if we could trigger the creation of a task from a task-template into a specific section of a project. Thank you.

6 Likes

Hello @Dan_G,

in case you are looking for this action to trigger from a form submission I also recommend upvoting here.

Now to achieve what you are looking for what you can do is set up a custom field with various options in the drop-down.

Depending on the option selected a rule triggers adding various subtasks.

Does this help?

I would also love this. I know the action can add subtasks, but I need to be able to set up dependencies as well.

1 Like

I was also looking for a good way to do this. Specifically, I am looking for when a task in one project is complete for a new task to be created in a separate project using a task template.

Reasoning: We have a tracking board for monthly/quarterly onsite visits at customer sites. We then have a separate board for meetings generated by those onsite visits. It would be really cool if when an onsite visit task is completed in the onsite project, a new meeting task could be created in the meeting project.

I have created a task template in a project that is using a worklow. I would like the trigger to build a task using the task template - but I don’t see that possibility. It seems as if I can only create a task or subtasks but not use a template.

3 Likes

Hi Marisa :raised_hand: and thank you for that question.

If you use the Business pricing plan (or Enterprise) , you can benefit from all the Asana workflow rules. And in that case, you could use a rule to “convert a task into a project from a template”.

Please see an example below :

You can access that Rules panel either from your Workflow section (and click on “More actions” and “Custom actions”; or alternatively, you can access the “Rules” panel from your “Customize” button (top right of your different project views).

Let me know if anything is not clear.

Cheers

Arthur

Hi Arthur,

Thanks for the feedback, but I don’t want to create a different project.

I want to use a task template that we have set up in our project to be build when we trigger the action, but it is not an option under actions. I wanted to use a task template as I have dependencies between tasks and if I use the subtask action I need to manually put the dependencies back in again.

Trust this make sense

2 Likes

Hey @anon48408443

I don’t think we can use a prebuilt task template (sorry)… However… this may help…

You can use the option in the workflow builder to create a new task…

This then gives you the option for a task to be built depending on the template you create for this workfow

And if you select view all fields you have more options like the full task template

hope this helps?

1 Like

Thank you this is very helpful!

We have this exact same use case, as I’m sure most people do. You should be able to trigger the creation of a task based off a task template. It just makes sense. Big miss.

Hi @Sar_B ,

Welcome to the forum! Agree 100%; this would be a huge value-add for our team as well. I’ve consolidated the thread you commented on into a product feedback request for this topic; please make sure you vote for it with the purple button to the left of the topic title and be sure to check out the creative workarounds from other members in the thread for inspo.

Hi Phil, thanks a million for your help here. I’m able to move forward with my option 2.
Although, I continue to support the proposal to enable the use of task templates in Rule builder :smiling_face:
I appreciate your help!

1 Like