Rolling expenses of subtasks up to parent task

Does anyone know if Asana will roll up the expenses for subtasks into the parent task’s expense field? If it can be done, is there something I need to do to initiate it? I’ve got a lot of subtasks with expenses and don’t want to manually have to calculate all that when looking at the task as a whole.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the Asana Community Forum @Heather_Broos!

This feedback request thread might be interesting for you.

Now in list view for numeric value fields you can get an overview and sum up data.

You can also see the average etc
Screenshot_6245

Does that help?

1 Like

Hi @Andrea_Mayer. Thanks for the reply.

I’m trying to get expenses for tasks 1.1 and 1.2 to roll up and get added to the expenses for 1. Or, if leave the expense field for 1 blank, for it to be updated with the expense info from 1.1 and 1.2.

Hi,

This currently doesn’t exist as a feature, we don’t really know if and when it will. In the mean time your only chance is a custom coded solution… I can help, let me know if needed.

Thanks for the info. I was afraid that was going to be the issue. Seems like a basic thing you’d want to be able to see, right?

1 Like

Nothing is basic about subtasks I am afraid :sweat_smile: if I were you, I wouldn’t count on this ever existing, because we really have no idea if it ever will. If you are lucky, it will pop up one day.

I am curious if you found a work around as I am encountering the same issue.

Hey @David_Lopez1, I have already responded to your other post here.

Note: Not a solution but marked as such to elevate a key reply

This is a hack because it uses a time tracking field (and requires Business or Enterprise) but may help some folks. You would use the hours portion for dollar amount of invoice and 00 for the minutes always. It will accomplish the roll-up at least, as explained here:

Thanks,

Larry