Reorder tasks within List View?

Hi, is there any way to re-order tasks in List View? I can’t seem to figure out any rhyme or reason for the order they appear in. (For example, it’s not alpha order.) If I have a dozen tasks for Today, I’d like to be able to drag them around into a different order so that my most urgent task is at the top, my second-most urgent task is next, etc. But there doesn’t seem to be a way to do so. Am I missing something? Thanks.

4 Likes

Hi @Michael_TenBrink

Looks like you are in the My Tasks view and yes you should be able to drag the tasks to order them.

Have a look at this guide article for how that Recently Assigned, Today, Upcoming and Later work.

Jason.

1 Like

Thanks Jason. This only appears to work if I don’t have any Sort applied to my Tasks though. If I have it sorted by Due Date, then there appears to be no way to manually re-order the dozen tasks that are due today, for example. Is that something that can be worked on?

6 Likes

Hi @Michael_TenBrink
Looks like the drag reorder using a mouse or trackpad isn’t working today; however was working 2 days ago. Was there an update that broke this? John

I’ve actually never been able to re-order in List view within a particular day. I’ve asked probably five different people about it, and they all try to show me and then stop and say, “Oh, I thought you could do this, but now I realize I don’t know how.”

4 Likes

Agreed! If Asana got rid of the “recently assigned” massive step of having to manually assign tasks that we’ve already manually assigned a date to, allowed us to collapse days that aren’t today so we can focus, and allowed us to drag and drop tasks into the order that we want within each day, it would be useful. As it is, I think it’s too time-consuming for my workflow. Too bad, because I love so many features!

1 Like

Yes you cannot rearrange with the Due Date sort applied, because there is no UX decision what happens if you drag a task that is due today among tasks that are due tomorrow - will it revert automatically, will it remove the sort, will it break? Because if you want the sort + the ability to rearrange that means that somehow you should be able to sort only within the day the task is due.

There is an update coming to My Tasks, already announced to developers, which we are told will allow for a lot more sorting and organisation freedom. I hope to get it by end of the year, we will see.

1 Like