Real time, two ways Calendar integration

Hi, I am using the Outlook Asana integration to send emails to Asana, but would it be possible to send events (meetings) to Asana with that addin? (or by any other method?)

Thanks

Hi @Patrick.EMIN, great question! As it stands, our calendar integration only syncs one way (Asana → Outlook).

I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with an existing thread in the #productfeedback category requesting this feature. Hopefully this is something our Product team and introduce in the future! :slight_smile:

I’ll keep you posted if I have any updates :slight_smile:

Searching for a better project management, time tracking, and billing integration platform. Checking in again on Asana and various other providers. I have reinstalled and tested Asana again and it still does not have real-time 2-way sync with Google Calendar. I am really surprised this has gone on for years. Passing on Asana.

6 Likes

Adding my vote here. managing multiple project on multiple calendars is extremely difficult with Asana because in Timeline view you cannot see other projects overlapping…also when adjusting the left column to see the full name of the sections, you cant. it cuts it off and hovering over the name of the section doesn’t work either. This is broken and needs to be fixed.

4 Likes

Adding my vote for this feature. Pretty disappointing a v2 was teased four years ago. Using Asana has proven to be a never ending list of to dos just to do the basics in our small business. We simply don’t have the resources to manage so many different tools. 2 way sync is critical. We invest in sophisticated software to make our work easier, but that just doesn’t seem to panning out with Asana. Looking for alternatives at this point.

5 Likes

Hi everyone,
At zzBots, we just released the feature to 2-Way Sync tasks with the start & end dates/times between Asana and Google Calendar or Outlook Calendar. This feature is only available for Asana Premium, Business, and Enterprise users.

You can install one or both of these new syncs below:

Asana Premium / Google Calendar | 2-Way Sync

Asana Premium / Microsoft Outlook Calendar | 2-Way Sync

You can find and install the original 2-Way Sync between Asana and Google Calendar or Outlook Calendar here.

1 Like

Hi! I followed instructions on how to integrate Asana with Google Calendar. I am able to see my tasks in my Google Calendars, but not the reverse. None of my calendar meetings show up in “my tasks” on Asana which is a huge let down for a paying subscriber. What is your timeline for getting real time, two ways calendar integration?

A few points that I hope you may find helpful:

1. Are "My Tasks" and Google Calendar sync features broken? - #6 by Sam_Friedman1 (My answer: Yes)

2. Asana has a policy of never giving a lookahead as to which features they will be addressing

3. If you are reliably getting your Asana tasks to all show up in your Google calendar and update within a reasonable time (< 1 day), you are way ahead of most users as to results on this feature

2 Likes

Time/calendar blocking is one of the most powerful productivity tools. Asana can suffer from being a “limitless to-do list”.

To do time blocking, I find myself switching back and forth between asana and my calendar app.

Are there any plans for integrating time/calendar blocking functionality inside asana?

2 Likes

Hello @Pascal_van_Opzeeland and welcome to the forum :wave:

You might want to upvote the 2 way google syncing feature request here: Real time, two ways Calendar integration

There are some workarounds mentioned as well such as this one.

Something that I wanted to point out that I realized the other day, is that there is a similar thread request that has almost as many votes. This thread is about getting the functionality that almost all calendars have now, doing things like the third Monday of the month. Which if there was a real time, two way calendar integration, we would get as a symptom of that.

Now, I do realize these are different requests. If fact, I do actually personally just prefer if I could get the functionality without having to think of another app I need to be on or integrate. Although in the space I work in, non-profit, most people are actually more used to just using a third party application like google calendar. So really, it’s probably a little more functional, at least for me, to just have the two way integration.

However, my point is, this request is almost as highly voted at this one. Together, their request size is 900+ points, making it the second most requested functionality under being able to assign a task to multiple people. I only say this because at this point, if Asana could just do this, everything else would just be icing. Don’t get me wrong, always stay improving, but this is -at least to me- the only sore spot that when I want to talk about Asana or pitch to others, I hesitate because I know they’re going to get to that and wince. So I guess this is kind of something I wanted to bring up as just further argument to get SOME functionality that’s addressing the lacking calendar functionality in Asana. Thanks for taking the time to read!

4 Likes

Hi Orin, I’m wondering if you sync asana projects that are virtually to-do lists with apple native Reminders app? I’m trying to find a to-do app for my phone that syncs with asana but also has the notifications that pop up the same way the native reminders app does it. Thank you

Google calendar just shows tasks but not their time (but it’s set in Asana). That’s pity. Could be better if we could set time and even reminder for calendar right from asana

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us, @Роксана_Галиева! We already have a thread on this topic so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with Real time, two ways Calendar integration. We will post updates in the main thread once we have any information about this feature!

Hi Dil,
zzBots currently only syncs with Apple iCloud Calendar. I will relay this request to our development team, and Apple’s reminder app will be bumped up on our list of requested integrations.

Once the integration does become available, you could easily set up a sync between an Asana to-do list and the reminder app.

Thanks Orin. I’ve been looking at alternatives to Asana so now I’m looking at Click Up. I can see zzBots works with Click Up but most third parties might need to be a custom bot. I’d be interested to firstly see if Click Up provides more of what I’m after, and then to see if that could be used with zzBots and everything else I want to connect it to. Thanks very much

1 Like

i’ve been asking for this for 10 years since i was an early adopter of Asana.

it’s a core function for high performing individuals to be able to block out their entire calendar full of meetings as well as tasks. that’s where asana comes in. it’s frankly crazy to me that asana hasn’t built this in yet. so i basically end up not using asana and just task manage in my calendar to get around this lack of 2-way syncs.

please stop building really advanced features that only a small subset of companies use while the fundamentals of project and task management have gaping holes that are killing adoption and value at our company and for me personally.

11 Likes

Totally agree, I left my 25 member company Asana some time ago just because of this! (and the no Asana answers)

Hi frustrated Asana users… Coming up for 5 years(!) and still no real-time two-way google calendar sync and no explanation from Asana. Sigh. Why is implementing such core functionality beyond Asana’s team when it’s standard in almost every other task management software? :pleading_face:

4 Likes

Hi Folks,

thats really one of the biggest issues in asana, because there is no possibility to use asanas own calendar, since you don’t see start times, but due times. No chance to plan meetings inside of asana.
The logical consequence should be to use google calendar for a good overview instead. But thats also not possible.
After hours of research I found Zapier.com the only way to have at least a one way sync from asana to google calendar. But when I want to have only tasks with start- and duetime synced, I have to upgrade to zapiers premium plan to use filters. Thats again 20€/month …

Another tool is reddiapps.com, but here’s one big issue: Tasks with start- and duetime are synced with due time, and are 1 hour long, so when I have a task from 3pm to 6pm, it will be shown in google calendar as: 5pm to 6pm …
So do you have other ideas how to solve this mess? What’s your way to plan meeting times within asana?

All the best from Germany
Simon

2 Likes