QR Codes direct to task links on phones

We now use asana for stock management and a subtask sits under a parent location task.
I have been trying to use a QR code generator to quick link to the location task.
This would mean that anybody could use a mobile devise to scan a location and instantly update the stock level.

Currently when i scan a QR code generated from the task link it opens in the web initially, then transfers this to the app, but seems to open my tasks rather than the specific task referenced.

I am using an android system.

1 Like

@Giles_Hugo - That is a very cool idea using QR Codes that wayā€¦

Unfortunately I am no way technical enough to understand why it isnā€™t workingā€¦ Each Task has a unique url so in theory it should workā€¦

Hopefully some of Gurus in the community will be able to help but will definitely be following this thread with interest.

Jason.

1 Like

How are you generating the QR code? Are you able to see the actual URL that the code is going to?

I think somehow some part of the link is getting ā€œlost in translationā€, so to speak - because if itā€™s a valid task link and itā€™s being fed to the Android operating system to handle, it should go to the specific task in the Asana Android app (I just tested this to make 100% sure). So at the moment I would recommend focusing on the link itself as the problem source.

P.S. I agree with Jason - thatā€™s a cool idea you have.

4 Likes

Your right, i had to clear my App store defaults since it kept taking me directly to the Asana App in the google app store, but once i removed defaults it does take me directly to the task.

Perfect

2 Likes

Good to read @Giles_Hugo, but can you please share with the community the way (or the app) you use to create the QR?
Is it done manually for each task?
Regards
@Sebastien_Levesque

1 Like

Hi Seb,
yes for the moment i just am using the free https://www.qrcode-monkey.com for stock locations so that i can update a stock level as goods go on and off a shelf.

The next level would be for asana or an app to embrace the qc code directly (not via a webpage) and to be able to move a task to within another task.

i.e if i have a new component to put in a location i would like to scan the component (for a QR code) and then move this to the subtask of parent task i scan second.

The application for field engineers / retail / stock control / production rates etc are endless if this could be streamlined / automated.

2 Likes

Hi Phil,
Do you have any idea how i might export the URL for a number of tasks automatically?
This is the biggest stumbling block in my process since we are having to ā€˜create linkā€™ and copy paste it each time to generate a QR code, whereas to import a database would be slick!

Sorry Phil, just found your solution posted hereā€¦ Get task url?

It turns out the problem is that when you export a report CSV the last digit in the task ID is always ā€˜0ā€™ in excel - the solution is to import into google sheets - as found here - Some Task IDs are incorrect on CSV Export

I did figure out a way to do it using Excel:

1 Like

yes i did -0 just moved everything onto google sheets - works seamlessly - from anywhere !! :wink:

Hi @Giles_Hugo,

Iā€™ve been looking for solutions to manage stock and inventory through asana and I landed here. Your approach sounds great from the outline. Do you have a detailed blog on this somehwere which could help me understand in detail about the implementation?
If not, would you be able to help out or put something like a guide. It will be a great help to huamity :smiley: