private team & project for personal tasks vs My Tasks

Hi… I’m our company’s admin and am in the process of cleaning up ‘Teams Gone Wild’ in our org. It’s really frustrating that I can’t restrict who can create a Team.

I’m working on cleaning up what we have, and I’ve found several individuals who have created Private teams just for themselves and their own personal tasks. I know they can use My Tasks, but some people seem to want to use a project in their own private team.

I’m creating org-wide doc & training of our policies around Asana, and I wanted to hear if there are any use cases why I should let them use a private team for this purpose, or if I can give reasons they need to just use My Tasks. Pros/Cons?

The main con for me is as an admin, the long list of Teams in the Admin Console, but I’m not sure if that matters? Thanks for any insight on how you handle at your org.

And by ‘personal tasks’, I just mean their own reminders and things to do at work that aren’t tied to a regular work project.

@Heather_Beaudoin,

Appropriate use cases I recommend are:

• My Tasks for personal tasks and work, not a “Heather Tasks” project unless you’re a power user and need features (sorts, filters, etc.) not available in My Tasks and are willing to incur the overhead associated
  • “Heather” Team if will be creating one or more private projects and want to group them here, not in other teams. This is legit; I use it for in-development work before I’m ready to roll it out to others, things I keep track of that others aren’t interested in and that would clutter My Tasks too much, etc.

Of course, some create a “” Team for the wrong reasons, but I wouldn’t discourage the above for those who are using this feature as above.

Hope that helps,

Larry

2 Likes

Thanks for your thoughts! I’m curious why you have a separate private team for ‘in dev planning’ and then transfer to another team when it’s ready to go, instead of just creating it as Private within the correct team and then either inviting people or setting it to public to the team when ready?

1 Like

Great question! I do that too, and would do that first generally, and resort to this if easier to keep multiple projects in one place until deployed. A better example is the ongoing work that’s private to me but beyond the scope of My Tasks. Having a team for me only, with private access means I don’t have to worry about project permissions to ensure they’re not cluttering up anyone else’s view, and I know where they all are.

Thanks,

Larry

3 Likes

Hi @Heather_Beaudoin

Personal projects are good for tasks I am the assignee and leadership needs to see the workflow progress. For those who may not be in a group, such as Design, Development, HR, etc., but still report to leadership. As @lpb pointed out, also good for power users.

Many groups great team for testing or demoing concepts prior to rolling out to the larger org. I might use a Marketing Demo team that will have skunkworks projects not ready to be socialized. Yes, you can private the project, but some just prefer to be siloed.

As long as people do not create competing teams or projects and keep their private team and projects private, there is no harm or additional cost to those additional teams.

1 Like

I just discovered someone created a “Personal - Me” team. They did it for themself but set it to allow membership by request. When I look at who’s following the team, it only shows that first person. However, there are about 30 others listed as ‘following specific project within the team’. I’m thinking those people all have created their own private personal projects in that team that we can’t see.

How were all those people be able to get into the team to create private projects, but they’re no longer following the team? I feel like I’d have to go to each of them and find out what projects they’re storing there and ask them to delete or move them.

However, it got me thinking… is this a standard way any orgs organize private projects? Create one “Personal” team and tell everyone they can just create private projects there? Looks like that’s what someone thought was a good idea at some point, but it was never really rolled out to the org.

1 Like

@Heather_Beaudoin

Let’s use this structure for reference.

Team Me (Heather, Larry)

• Team Project
  • Getz Project :lock: (Richard)
  • Inventory Project

In the above case, you and Larry are on the team. Both of you can see all projects below the team with the exception of the Getz Project which is locked (private).

I am not on the team, but only on the Getz Project so I cannot see Team Project or Inventory Project. So Richard is ‘following specific project within the team’.

Doing this is good for a Team when they want to add stakeholders to certain projects, but not give them access to the entire team.

Team members can see all projects below the team unless they are locked (private).

Project members can see all tasks within the project but cannot see all projects within the team unless they are added to the team.

If you just add an assignee to a task, but not to the project, nor the team, then they cannot see any other tasks within that project, or projects within the team.

@Heather_Beaudoin I agree with the reasons @lpb and @Getz_Pro gave and suggest this to clients. I saw that this helps with adoption of the tool and let people have a safe space where they can also figure out the features in asana. I can also see the case for people using the multi-home feature and then adding task to a team that creates a new view only they can see.

2 Likes

Thanks… I do get how private projects work but am confused about one thing. In your example, if Team Me is set to Membership by request, didn’t someone else (like Heather or Larry) have to create the Getz Project and invite Richard to it? Otherwise, how did Richard create the private project in that team without having access to the team?

That’s the situation I’m finding with this private Personal team. About 30 people who don’t follow the team, set up their own personal private projects within the team, which I’m finding super confusing how they did that.

I’m trying to decide how I want to set best practices & train our org on this usage. Right now, the two options seem to be to tell people they can join and add Personal-Me private projects like these other 30 people, but there’s a good chance they’ll do it wrong. Or tell them if they really need to under certain circumstances, I’ll create a Team set to Private that has their individual name as the Team name… that way it’s easier for me to track on the Admin side who has a private team for when I deactivate users in the future. I’m leaning toward that option as the best, but that would require ‘fixing’ all these other 30 people to not use the Personal-Me team and retire it.

1. Richard asked to be on the team. Which didn’t happen or he would see all projects on the team
  2. Someone created the project and invited Richard to it, but not to the team.

Can’t speak to the second half as I am not sure why anyone would need to track private teams or projects. You are not charged on this bases.

As long as they adhere to standard teams and projects for any reportable company work, it matters not to me what other projects and teams they set up as long as they are private.

1 Like

I use a personal team in addition to My Tasks because My Tasks does not allow me to create custom fields that allow me to further manage and refine my task lists. At the same time, by having a personal team, not every task I get assigned to across Asana automatically gets added to my personal team without me adding a custom rule to every project board I am on which gets painful. Easy solution…create a rule on my tasks that adds all those tasks to my personal team board and I now have a place I can prioritize my tasks and add other desired custom fields that pertain only to me and allow me to manage my tasking as I need to. My Tasks also offers limited functionality of your tasks compared to a full project board…so if you are really embracing the power of Asana as a user My Tasks falls short of what you really need.

1 Like