Portfolio: Add All of a Teams' Projects at Once

I understand, I don’t have a choice, the Asana API does not allow for fine grained permissions. Just FYI I don’t store anything, and this is your browser that reads your data, it never goes to my server. And you can deauthorize my app after you use it.

Workloads are necessary but problematic in Asana - for the reason mentioned above (adding manually each project to a Portfolio) and also for another one: Workloads are calculated when the task is assigned to the team member.
Let me know if I am missing something here, and if you found a workaround.
As a PM, you are working on Resource Scheduling and Assignment. Let’s say you have big projects in the pipeline and you want to make sure all team members are scheduled and not overloaded with tasks once the project kicks off.
Well, apparently you have to ASSIGN the future task in order to have Workload calculation. Consequence: Team members get their Inbox clogged by tasks that have not started yet. The Task is assigned only for Workload estimation, so it is not truly assigned yet. It is cumbersome and unclear for any teammate to have this in their Taskslist, especially since you have to select a start and due date for the Workload estimation to be accurate.
What could be a work around option is to have a custom Potential Resource field that could be selected to estimate Workloads and would prevent to assign any task before it is actually needed. Meaning, Workload estimation would not automatically trigger messages and adding tasks to “potential” assignee. For that, we would need an option to calculate Workload per “custom field”.

Please let me know if you have a workaround for this or if I am missing something.
We need to keep everything centralized in Asana, but Portfolios and Workloads, the way it is at this moment, makes us go back to other planning tools.

Thank you.

Whilst I’d be very happy with an “Add all projects in Team X” option for Portfolios, a dynamic option would be preferable. E.g. Portfolio A contains all projects in Team A or Team B. That way, whenever a new project is added to Team A or B it automatically enters the Portfolio. We’re keen to use Portfolios to manage our team’s workload across all projects (rather than a subset of projects, which is of very limited value), but the current functionality doesn’t allow us to do that in an efficient or scalable way.

Hi Sebastian. Thank you for sharing your solution - is it possible for this to autmatically trigger on project creation in a team? It would seem I can only trigger it manually but it would be great to automate or connect a zap to.

Many thanks,
Matt

Not with my tool, I would have to write it as a standalone script.

That script is now available and works like a charm, contact me if interested. It adds all projects from team A to portfolio A, team B to portfolio B…

What I really want to upvote is just SMART PORTFOLIOS in general

Hi Bastien,

Is your script still available for this, and is it still the best way to accomplish the goal? We’re just getting going with Asana, and are shocked that this is not built-in functionality! We already have a bunch of projects missing from their corresponding team portfolio, rendering portfolios useless!

Thanks in advance for your reply on this.

Mike

My code is still available and I also built a tool, let me know if that helps.

Thank you, I’ll have a look.

@Marie has this feature been prioritized for development/release?

Asana does not communicate on the roadmap, we only know when it is indeed about to be released.