Personal Project 'Home' workspace won't let me use templates

Hi there
I’ve had Asana from a while but stopped using it. I’ve now gone back to using it but the templates I see in my work workspaces I’ve just created are not coming up as an option in my Personal projects workspace. How can I fix this? I very much want to use a grant tracker template in my personal project but it only gives me list, board and calendar views and not all the other templates.
Thanks
Olivia

Hello Olivia and welcome to the forum :wave:,

When you select a new project in your personal workspace do you have an option on the right hand side, such as the one below (see red arrow)?

There is a default to the Marketing templates, but you can switch it to ‘ALL’. You should see the Grant Tracking template then.

I hope this helps,

Katie

@oliviacrellin, I can’t find it in the Asana Guide, but I don’t believe Personal Projects support templates so you’d have to use a regular Workspace or Organization. In addition, I though I recall Personal Projects is being deprecated and is lacking in some other features. If you want to copy from one location to another https://ditto.kothar.net/ may help.

Hope that helps,

Larry

1 Like

Hi guys - thanks so much both. Larry - I think that’s what I’m coming up against. If I copy a template from another workspace to my personal projects’ area will the template move across?
Thanks
Olivia

@oliviacrellin, There’s no template feature in Personal Project so if you’re sticking with Personal Projects, that’s a simple template to copy yourself; just four tasks (though subtasks). Ignoring the custom fields because those don’t apply for free accounts. I haven’t tested this but I’ve done similar before:

Do these steps one time only:

• Create a new empty project: Grant Tracking Master
  • In another browser tab/window, go to another workspace, create a project (say “GT”) that’s an instance of the Grant Tracking template
  • Click the first of the four tasks; shift-click the last of the four tasks; do Ctrl-C to copy
  • Return to first tab with Grant Tracking Master; click in a new task in the tasks pane and do Ctrl-V to past the four copied tasks
  • Repeat the above three times but for the subtasks that three of the template tasks have
  • Now you have a copy of the template in Personal Projects

Each time you want to make a new instance of the Grant Tracking Master, do this:

• Click the down arrow next to the project name in the header and choose Duplicate
  • Set the name and the checkboxes to include subtasks, etc. and click Create New Project

Hope that works out!

Larry

You should really stay away from Personal Projects [Asana] Stay away from Personal Projects | by Bastien Siebman | Asana / minimalist work | Medium

2 Likes